Better than words

A/N: based loosely on the song Better Than Words by One Direction.

You were the happiest you had ever been. He was perfect for you, it was as simple as that. Nothing could ever compare to the way he looked at you when he woke up next to you.
It had been the kind of summer you had always dreamed of. Days spent by the ocean, soaking up the sunshine and splashing the saltwater at him. Going on roadtrips to places you'd never been.

Learning to play guitar with his fingers guiding yours. Driving aimlessly with the radio blaring, and him declaring that every love song that played was about you. Nights spent beneath the stars in his backyard, either just watching the sky or sitting around a fire with the other boys, telling stories and making jokes. You felt limitless with him, like you could do anything.
Soon enough, it was time for them all to get back to work, and though you still had nights with him to look forward to, it was different. You went to the ocean still, but the sun didn't feel as warm, and you got bored so easily without him.

Every night, you asked him how his day had been, only to be met with the same response: "I don't want to talk about it right now." But he never seemed to want to talk about it, and you couldn't help that you were so easily distracted by his lips on your skin.
But finally, he invited you along to the studio, as they were finishing up vocals for the album. It was exciting, sitting on the other side of the glass while he did what he loved. And he sounded amazing. You couldn't help but smile like an idiot the entire time.
He emerged from the booth. "How was I?" he asked shyly.

"Cal, that was incredible! I think I just fell in love with you even more," you replied, wrapping your arms around his shoulders and biting your bottom lip.
You felt his hands around your waist. "I would've brought you along more often if I had known it turned you on," he said softly, darkly.
Raising your eyebrows, you said, "Jesus, Calum, calm down." And then, more quietly, "I'll show you exactly how it made me feel later."
He smiled and kissed you lightly. "God, I love you, Y/N."
"So, was that song about me?" you asked, gesturing towards the booth.

He removed his arms from your waist, and your arms fell to your side. "Not exactly," he replied, sounding nervous.
You felt suddenly anxious. "Are any of them about me?"
He didn't meet your eyes. "Not exactly."

You spun and headed for the door. He ran to step in front of you. "Look, I can explain. Just... let me tell the guys I'm leaving and we can go home, okay?"
You sighed and nodded. The ride home was silent.

Even the radio was quiet. You barely noticed, lost in your own world. You had been together almost a year now. So many memories together and late night talks. Perfect song material.

But apparently you weren't good enough to have a song written about you.
As soon as you closed the front door behind you, you crossed your arms and stared at him. "Well?" you prompted.
He sighed and sat down at one of the kitchen barstools. "Okay, hear me out." You rolled your eyes. "I tried to write a song about you." You scoffed at him.

"No, I really did!"
"Whatever," you said, and began to walk down the hallway.
"Y/N, please! I'm trying to get you to understand." You stopped and turned to face him. "Will you come here, please?" he asked, and you took a few steps closer to him.

Now you could see the desperate glint in his eye.
"I'm listening," you said.
"Okay. I tried to write a song about you, but none of them were any good. None of the words I wrote could compare to what I feel when I look at you.

I just..." he took a deep breath and ran his hands through his hair, frustrated. "I don't know. The way I feel about you, it's better than words. It's better than any song I could ever write. Maybe I should've tried harder to write something for you, I don't-"
"No, Cal," you cut him off.

"I understand now. I get it. Because I feel the same way about you." He smiled. You took a few more steps forward, and took one of his hands in yours.

"I'm sorry I acted like a bitch about it."
"You didn't act like a bitch," he said, and you raised an eyebrow. "Okay, you kind of did. But we worked it out because we're an awesome couple!" You laughed, and he kissed you.

"I promise I'll write a song for you one day. I just have to find the words first."
"In the meantime," you said, taking his hand and guiding him down the hallway, "I'll give you something else that's better than words." He laughed as he shut the bedroom door.

Credit: We Are 5sos Family
On tumbr