𝙛𝙞𝙛𝙩𝙮.

─☼☼☼─

𝙄𝙏 𝙃𝘼𝘿 𝘽𝙀𝙀𝙉 one full day since Ward Cameron died, and everything felt different. 

A heaviness hung in the air, not necessarily in mourning of him, but in those who lost him. Sarah, Wheezie, Rafe, hell even Rose, they all weighed heavy on Charlotte's heart. 

Even Tannyhill seemed different as she pulled into the driveway as dusk settled along the Outer Banks. 

Just a day ago she had stood on this property and watch a man die. 

But today, today she was here to support a boy who she was sure desperately needed it. 

Rafe had been released earlier that day, Ward's confession that took responsibility for all the crimes essentially cleared Rafe's name. It was true in some respect, because as Charlotte had maintained since the beginning, Ward Cameron was responsible for everything that happened in one way or another. 

Approaching the front door, a heaviness settled on Charlotte's chest. She wasn't sure what to say to Rafe, just like she hadn't been sure what to say to Sarah. 

When Rafe's mother had died, they were kids, meaning Charlotte hadn't been expected to really say anything. 

But they weren't kids anymore. So she needed to figure it out─and soon. 

The doorbell chimed throughout the house, echoing into Charlotte's ears as she tried to rehearse a monologue. She knew that the minute she stood in front of Rafe, everything she had meant to say would vanish, but she should at least try. 

It was Rose who opened the door and interrupted Charlotte's internal freakout. She assumed that the staff had been sent away when all of this started. Why else would Rose be opening the door right now?

Her face was place, eye makeup slightly smudged, but aside from that she looked rather put together. 

"Hi-hi." Charlotte stuttered out, already at a loss of what to say. "How are you?"

How are you? Good one Charlotte. 

Rose gave her a polite smile, understanding the sentiment. "Hi, Charlotte."

"I'm sorry about your loss, Rose." She admitted softly. "I truly am."

Letting out a small sigh, the widow nodded, "Thank you, sweetie. That means a lot."

Silence fell for a moment, and Charlotte wasn't sure if she was expected to give Rose a hug or not. She was really new to this whole mourning over a man who you sort of hated thing. 

"Rafe's upstairs. I think he's in Ward's closet looking around." Rose finally said, nodding toward the staircase. "I know he would love to see you."

Stepping into the house, Charlotte gave Rose a small smile. "Thank you." She whispered. 

The house somehow seemed empty. It had been ransacked a couple days prior by police, and now its patriarch was absent. Charlotte was sure the family felt it too. 

The floorboards creaked under her steps as she ventured upstairs. Her eyes snagged on the doors to Ward's office, and she felt a lump rise in her throat. She may have hated him when he died, but at one point, Ward Cameron had been like a second father to her.