chapter six

saturday, 2:00 am
bruce had been tossing and turning all night. we couldn't get his mind off the fact that he kissed vance again at a party. they hadnt even had an actual conversation, but yet they had kissed? he felt so stupid. they had agreed not to talk, rarely interact, and much less kiss. he felt sick. he regretted it. but he really didn't? he'd loved every moment of it. he loved being able to run his hands through vance's hair again. he loved being near vance again. he groaned and laid down, but he wasn't going to get any sleep. he heard his phone buzz on the nightstand beside him. he rolled over to check it, and because he just couldn't catch a break, the message was from vance.
'we need to talk.'
    he read the message a couple times in his head before texting back;
'i agree. are you free tomorrow, around one pm-ish?'
      they texted back and forth a couple times, deciding their plans. bruce couldn't help feel excited. nervous, as well, but still excited. he would get to talk to vance again. although, then a bit of worry started to set in. what if vance didnt want to get back together like he wanted? he bit his lip. of course vance wouldnt want to, he was the one who said they needed to stop talking. bruce put his face in his hands, before running them through his hair. he let out a sigh, he wouldn't mention wanting to get back together with vance. it was the better idea. it was what vance wanted.
—————————
saturday, 3:00 pm
    the next day, the two met at the cafe. their cafe, the one they had met at. vance anxiously waited for bruce to arrive, for once, he had been early. he was so excited to talk with bruce again. he was going to bring up them talking again, being friends again — maybe more. last night was so eye opening for him. he didnt care what other people though, and he would always be there for bruce if he could. he would make sure the incident from last never happened again. he looked up when he heard the door open, and it was bruce. he smiled brightly and waved him over. bruce made his way over to the table and gave a smile back, although he looked pretty uneasy. "hey!" vance said as bruce slid into the booth. "hi."
    "so, uhm, about the kiss last night," vance started, but he was cut off by bruce saying something he didn't quite understand at the same. "oh- sorry— you go first." bruce chuckled awkwardly. "ah- no, it's okay, you go first." vance offered another smile. bruce hesitated. "right.. uhm, it was a mistake. i regret it, and i'm sorry." bruce maintained eye contact with vance, trying to read his facial expression.
oh.
oh.
of course it was a mistake. vance felt stupid for thinking otherwise. "o-oh. uh, right. yeah. it was." bruce hesitantly nodded. "yeah.. we should just forget about it." vance nodded in agreement. "yeah. that's probably a good idea." he swallowed. this was stupid. he cleared his throat. "since we got that all figured out, i'm gonna get going. glad we could talk about this." he stood up. "wait- vance-" bruce started, and vance turned to look at him. bruce swallowed thickly. "n-nevermind. have a nice day." he brought his gaze back to the table. "yeah, you too." vance replied. "i'll see you around, bruce." he left the cafe, leaving bruce bruce alone with his thoughts. vance had seemed.. disappointed?
had vance wanted the opposite? did he want to get together again? shit. had bruce missed his chance? oh god, he was such an idiot.
——————————————————
word count: 632
oops my finger slipped