[009] meaningless dreams

"WHAT ARE CHILDREN, but a weakness?

A folly? A futility?

Through them, you imagine you cheat the great darkness of its victory. You will persist forever, in some form or another. As if they will keep you from the dust.

But for them, you surrender what you should not. You may know what is the right thing to be done, but love stays the hand.

Love . . . is a downfall.

Best to make you way through life unencumbered . . . if you ask me."

"They're dead."

"You've heard the stories of Harrenhal, Your Grace. It was built in hubris by Harren the Black as a monument to his own greatness. Blood mixed into the mortar. It is said to be a cursed place. That it passes judgment on all who pass beneath its gates."

"You . . . You passed judgment."

"The Queen makes a wish. What servant of the realm would not strive to fulfill it? I assume you will write to your father now?"

"Larys . . . I did not wish for this."

"I feel certain you will reward me . . . when the time is right."

• • •

AEMMA OPENED HER eyes. For a moment, she just stared in horror at the bedside table by her bed, on which she kept jewelry and letters from Helaena. She then started to notice other things, like how her nightgown was sticking to her back, her heart was beating faster than usual and her fists were gripping the duvet as if it was the only thing that could protect her.

Only today she arrived to Dragonstone with her family and she didn't like the place already. Despite the fact that Aemma didn't like the castle where she grew up, there were things she liked, such as the library, the big garden and especially Helaena. But even though Aemma and Helaena both cried and begged Rhaenyra and her family not to leave, Laenor still gently pulled Aemma into the carriage. Viserys, Alicent, Aegon and Aemond eventually walked back into the castle while Helaena stared at the carriage until it was out of her sight.

After a while Aemma slowly sat up on the bed, looking around the room she, Jace and Luke shared. The room was lit only by dim candlelight, and when she looked out the window she saw that the night was lit by the storm.

"Aemma?"

A soft child's voice snapped her out of her thoughts and she looked at Luke standing by her bed.

"Luke, why are not you sleeping?" she asked him quietly, shaking her head.

He nervously looked out of the window. "I'm afraid of the storm. Can I sleep with you?"

Aemma's eyes softened and she nodded, shifting on the bed so Luke could lay next to her. The boy smiled brightly and laid down on her right side, then snuggled up to his sister and Aemma put one arm around him.

Luke always fell asleep faster when Aemma was around, even when he was a child Rhaenyra used to put him to sleep right next to his sister because little Luke then fell asleep quickly and hardly cried at all. As if Aemma was able to give him some kind of comfort without any words.

Looking at her brother, Aemma stroked his hair and hummed a lullaby until the boy fell asleep.

"Another bad dream?"