[022] aemma's sudden departure

SINCE THE DEATH of Laena and Laenor Velaryon, the Drifmark has become a sad reminder for Rhaenys Targaryen of the things she once had and lost. Its corridors, once filled with children's laughter, were now silent and Rhaenys realized each time that her children's voices would never be heard again because they were beyond her reach.

Because of this loss, she sought so anxiously to keep Baela and Rhaena together with Laenor's beloved daughter, Aemma Velaryon. Despite her best efforts, Rhaenyra and Daemon Targaryen, after murdering both of her children, took her grandchildren away, leaving her with only Baela.

And Rhaenys therefore wanted Baela to always be by her side as she felt that she would lose her mind without her.

"It's been years since I last saw my lord husband, Maester," she said coldly, her eyes fixed on the man standing before her. "I must know . . . will he live?"

"He led his sailors into an ambush," the maester said. "A ship made to look as if it were abandoned. In the fighting, his back was slashed by a corsair's dagger. He fell overboard into the sea. The wound was severe. Much blood was lost. But the greater concern is the fever that followed. The ship's maester said he burns from within."

Rhaenys clutched the Driftwood Throne she sat on, trying to keep her face unreadable. The sounds of seagulls and crashing waves came from outside as she looked at the curly haired girl in the blue dress who was standing near her.

Baela Targaryen glanced at her with sad eyes before they both looked back at their guest.

"The ravens came in from?" Rhaenys asked.

"Evenfall, Princess."

Rhaenys nodded and looked away. "So they arrive soon. Let all be made ready to receive him, Maester Kelvyn."

The Maester bowed his head and turned to leave.

Against her will, Rhaenys skipped a glance towards the fireplace in the room in front of which Laena was learning to dance, in front of which she was talking to Corlys, in which Laenor . . .

"The Sea Snake is strong," Baela said firmly, approaching her grandmother.

"No doubt."

The women turned to the voice and their faces turned cold when they saw Vaemond Velaryon standing a short distance away.

He ignored the warning looks and walked closer. "And yet, I have seen blood fever overcome men half his age."

"I will not suffer the talk of crows in my house, Vaemond," Rhaenys said warningly.

"I love my brother," Vaemond declared with a frown, "but we must be honest with ourselves. We may greet his ship to find him gone. And who will take the Driftwood Throne?"

"My grandmother seems quite comfortable here," Baela snapped at him.

Vaemond turned his cold eyes to her. "She presides only in the absence of her husband. On his death, the seat passes."

"To Aemma Velaryon," Rhaenys said firmly and Baela gave him a challenging smile. "As is my lord husband's desire."

"I am the Sea Snake's own blood, the closest kin he has left," Vaemond spoke through gritted teeth.

Rhaenys gave him a smile. "Be careful, good-brother. One could take your words for treason."

Vaemond stared at her for so long that Baela wondered if he would hit her. Therefore, when the man began to slowly walk closer to the throne, she froze.

"I speak the truth, Rhaenys," Vaemond whispered. "And you know it."

"The matter has been decided," Rhaenys looked away.