brief character analysis

NOTE: This author's note was written/edited on November 7, 2022. Some information about characters, story, readers and the author is not actual.

• • •

I get a lot of private messages / complaints about how I write my book. I don't want to defend myself and I don't plan to, but I just wanted to write a few words that I think some people don't realize. Let's call it a brief character analysis.

1. Aemma

Whether it's because she grew up in a castle surrounded by people who lie, manipulate and kill as they please or the trauma of losing Harwin Strong and Laenor Velaryon, Aemma refuses to perceive her own feelings and ignores their existence, and many times she cannot name the things she feels. She acts on the basis of feelings, but is not aware of their presence behind her actions. Her relationship with Aemond is written as it is to the extent that Aemma herself perceives it and therefore it seems that you can only guess what is behind it. Same goes with her relationship with Ben.

2. Ben

Ben is a character who is significant in this story not only because of his relationship with Aemma but also because of his alliance with House Stark. Ben feels a rather devoted type of love for Aemma, which is mainly based on admiration for the fact that she is able to fight and speak her mind. However, you have to remember that Ben and Aemma haven't spent much time together and even though Ben openly loves Aemma, he doesn't know her. Aemma's relationship to him is hidden just like her relationship to Aemond.

3. Aemond

The main idea behind his character (in my opinion) is the fact that Aemond is very devoted to his family and their beliefs about what is right. Having grown up in the company of Otto, Alicent and Aegon, he is convinced that his pure blood makes him something more and therefore believes that it is right to hate those who are not. Since Aemma and her brothers are bastards it is right to think of them as inferior and to like Aemma is wrong.

4. Helaena

Helaena and Aemma have Platonic love, similar to the one that Alice and Rhaenyra and Laenor and Rhaenyra had. Platonic love, also called impossible love, is the one that does not contain romantic feelings or sexual attraction. Aemma and Helaena are not troubled by jealousy, they are not troubled by fading love. Aemma and Helaena's love is one of the most stable in this book.

Funfact: Helaena is the captain of the ship.

5. Rhaenyra

Rhaenyra is not perfect and people should understand that. Her relationship with Aemma is written similarly to Alicent's with Aegon: her obsession with her child's safety clouds her mind and she stops caring about what Aemma wants. In my opinion, it is a very common thing among parents, the belief that they know what is best for their children. Rhaenyra deserves to have some flaws. It doesn't make her a bad person.

That's all for now. As much as I care about my writing and I am an acting student, I care a lot about what my characters feel and how the plot will develop. If everything was written briefly, it would be boring.

The next chapter will be released later as it contains Aemond and Aemma reunion and I want it to be released in its best possible version.