[035] the language of flowers

AEMMA NEVER LIKED dancing. As a matter of fact, she absolutely despised dancing and tried to avoid it at all costs. Like many things Aemma hated, her hatred of dancing was also connected to the fact that as a princess she had to know how to dance and at every event her skills were criticized by everyone else. However, it was also true that she found this activity in itself extremely boring.

Perfectly rehearsed choreography, a person condemned to spend time with his dance partner and boring, slow music that sounded like a 10 second melody repeating itself over and over . . . How could anyone find that entertaining?

She'd rather stand by and watch others get embarrassed instead of getting embarrassed herself.

And yet, now she stood on the dance floor with other people and tried to remember the dance steps that she hadn't used since the one dance with Helaena on her wedding day. She saw that even though most of the people were determinedly looking away, there were a few young women who were staring at her with interest, but when she looked back at them, they immediately averted their gazes.

Then Aemma turned again to her dance partner who was standing across from her, waiting for the music to start just like the everyone else. He could obviously tell that she was nervous by the way she tried to look serious, her fingers involuntarily playing with the fabric of her dress and her shoulders a little slouched. And when Aemma looked into his amused face and noticed how he was trying to hide the smile on his face, she knew it.

He knew she was suffering and he was enjoying it immensely.

Aemma clenched her jaw, raising her chin almost challengingly and tried to appear confident. If she had to do this, she will not give him satisfaction from her discomfort.

The first sounds of the drum sounded and the dance began. Aemma's eyes subtly scanned the other women near her, automatically repeating their steps and moving in the direction they were moving. This tactic was fortunately successful as she was good at improvising until she lost her balance after someone put their foot in front of hers and she tripped.

Caught by the young man with black hair, Aemma gave him a small smile. "Sorry."

The man awkwardly returned her smile and then continued to dance, walking towards the woman who mockingly smirked and continued graceful movements.

Aemma exhaled through her nose and turned her head to the person who tripped her, stabbing her eyes into the back of Aemond, who turned around with the other men. Noticing her irritated look he smirked and started walking towards her with his line and Aemma did the same. Women and men walked forward and changed sides on the floor and so Aemma stepped on Aemond's foot as she passed him.

"My apologies," she said with no trace of sympathy in her voice, "didn't see you there."

Aemond didn't answer her at first but continued to dance until their steps led them back together again. "Perhaps it would be better to focus on your steps than to have your head in the clouds."

"Perhaps it would be better to focus on your own steps and not criticize others," Aemma retorted.

"That would be ideal indeed. Unfortunately, I can't keep quiet as my dance partner is about as good at dancing as the peasants in Dorne," Aemond said, observing from the corner of his eye Aemma who passed by him while returning his gaze.

Aemma gave him a sarcastic smile. "In that case, you could find a partner who is a better dancer and might enjoy dancing with you. Although I doubt that she exists. Maybe your mother would pity you."

"Find a partner who can dance and wants to be with me?" he repeated with raised eyebrow. "Where's the fun in that?"

Continuing to dance, they drew closer to each other again, circling each other like the rest of the dancing crowd.