Chapter 7

{Time lapse: 1 year}

January 16th, 1933-

It's been almost a year since you entered hell. After defeating Sir Pentious and gaining most of his territory, the name of The Candy Lady spread quickly. No one dares mess with hell's most feared Overlord. You're seen as a violent source of nature, an entity of pure chaos, and a disturbed soul that will show mercy to no one.
But, with gaining territory and being feared, you've met more of the Overlords during banquets and ceremonies that were mostly hosted by Lucifer. He's approached you many times, making casual conversation. He was nice. Lilith was even nicer. She was gifted with a mother's touch and the beauty of a goddess.

Today was calmer than most. You saw no need to go on a rampage, so the day started at a small diner, made especially for cannibals.
"Ah, well, if it isn't my favorite customer," Judith was the manager and lead worker at this diner. Very nice, very quiet, keeps to herself and is probably the most angel-like person you've ever met in hell. She is under your protection from other Overlords and gangs.
"Will you be having the usual?" She took at her notepad to start writing.
"Actually, Judith, I'll let you surprise me today. I want something I've never had before." She looked at you for a minute, eyes squinted like she was deep in thought.
"Alright! I think I have the perfect dish! I'll be right out, Ms, Y/L/N." As she left, you called out, "It's just Y/N, deary."

Your food arrived after no more than 20 minutes. The dish was Shakshouka but with a cannibals twist. The tomato sauce had blood and tiny bits of flesh in it. It was delicious. Your meal was interrupted when a familiar voice called your name.
"Ah, well, if it isn't The Candy Lady! Still having trouble with your memories?" Sir Pentious. You two had grown closer. It was a frenemy relationship.
"Ah, hello, Penni. Still butting into other's business?" Your eyes were fixated on your food. Your memories felt so distant. Ever since your first day in Hell, the only thing you knew about the life you lived before was the crimes you had committed. Your sins were the only thing that followed you into eternal damnation. Sir Pentious sat across from you in your booth, having both hands folded on the table.
"You were the one who told me your problems. I never asked you to. So, you made it my business." His grin was growing more annoying with every word.
"I only told you so that you would quit pestering me about lack of sleep. I never quite understood why you cared so much." You took a sip of tea while he answered.
"If I'm going to go up against Hell's most powerful demon, then she must be at her peak. Everyone must know I am better than you when you're at your best. Not half asleep."
"Ah. So it's all for the glory?" Your question was rhetorical, in hopes of somehow shutting Pentious up. He gave a slight nod. "Well, Penni, if you wouldn't mind, I was having a rather peaceful morning until you showed up. I think it'd be best if you leave." You stared straight into whatever was left of Sir Pentious's soul. He stood up and brushed off his jacket.
"Hmph. Well, I should listen to you, shouldn't I? No one wants to piss off The Candy Lady." The snake slithered away, leaving you alone again. You let out a deep sigh and covered your face with your hands. Your head started pounding, a pain you wish you could get used to. You called for the check, and you thought it would be best to try and get some rest. You paid for your food and left the diner. As you walked out of the diner, a powerful surge spread throughout the city. This was a sign that a powerful entity, usually an Overlord, had entered the underworld. But this, this was much more powerful than any surge. This felt sinister and inhuman. Had this entity ever walked in human flesh? You didn't feel like sticking around to find out today. You teleported to your house. There's a forest in Hell. It reminds you of the one you lived in when you were alive. The house used to be run down and disgusting. Luckily, your magic made it much easier to clean up. You entered and sat in the living room.
"We need to find him."
You looked at the mirror on the table next to you. There were many mirrors and reflective surfaces in your house.
"And "him" is?" You asked.
"The new demon! You felt how powerful he is. He's dangerous!"
"This whole place is dangerous! It's Hell! I'm not going after anyone right now. I need to focus." It's been a year, and you still couldn't remember much of your life as a human. Faces were blurred, names were erased, and memories were getting cut off. It frustrated you more than anything. No potion, elixir, or spell helped get it back.
"But he's threatening your authority!"
"Why must you be so insistent about this? I'm sure any of the other Overlords can squash a newbie bug."
"You haven't been in Hell for long, so I'll cut you some slack, but I've been here for a good few millennia waiting for you! This... this soul is mortal, but his power is second only to Lucifer.."
Recap of the first year:
You learned that your reflection was a source of most of your power. It was also kind of like a second soul for you. It's been in Hell, waiting for you, for a long ass time and preparing to make the most Overlord Hell has ever seen. You trained and trained your power, getting the full gist of it. You haven't unlocked your full potential because you need your memories unlocked. Ancient power is funny like that. NOW YOU HAVE SOMEONE CHALLENGING YOUR AUTHORITY. Couldn't be more perfectttt.