Chapter 11: Marigold

Warnings: violence, blood, mentions of suicide, guns and death

Word Count: 4285

The year was 2014 and the Sparrow Academy was lined up in their number order in the dojo, hands behind their backs and posture tall. Pogo stood before them all in a uniformed jumpsuit with a staff in his hand, making controlled strides down the line of the Gi-clad superheroes.

"Just because something is right in front of you, does not mean..." He poked Alphonso in his back. "...it is within reach. There is always something in the way. Sometimes, it is your opponent..."

Ben and (Y/N) stepped out of the line and took their positions across from each other, a bell sitting between them on the floor.

"Sometimes, it is yourself."

They both got into fighting stances, eyes locked on one another.

"Start the match!" Pogo shouted in Japanese.

Instantly, (Y/N) kicked at Ben, but was blocked by him. She didn't waste another second in swinging on him. He caught her arm and went to knee her in the gut, but she blocked his leg with hers. She broke out of his hold and he went to kick her in the face, but she dropped to the ground and swept his legs out from under him. Ben fell to the ground on his rear with a growl. (Y/N) smirked and walked up to the bell, but was knocked in the face with one of his tentacles. She looked up at him, wiping the blood from her lips. So, he wanted to use powers...

Singing out her three-note tune, two clones were summoned from her shadow, instantly, running up to Ben. (Y/N) ran behind them, ready to attack, but he released two tentacles, one wrapping around each clone's neck. She heard two sickening cracks just as she jumped into the air. In mid-air, a tentacle wrapped tightly around her body, slamming her into the ground. She groaned in pain and her mind swam dizzily as Ben dragged her across the floor, past her two dead clones, past the bell, and to him. The tentacle sat her upwards and snaked its way to her face, blocking air to her nose and mouth.

"You're gonna tap out or pass out. It's your choice."

(Y/N) grunted, heart beating faster when she realized she couldn't breathe. She felt Ben lean close to her ear.

"Hey, it's your life." He hissed, tightening his hold enough that her bones cracked. She cried out in pain.

"Ben, that's enough! Let her go!" Sloane called out, Ben smirking at her. "Come on, (Y/N), tap out!"

"I'm afraid there's no tapping out in the real world, children."

Reginald stepped into the room, everyone's posture squaring. Ben's proud smirk stared at him, squeezing (Y/N) enough to make her whimper. When she didn't do anything in retaliation, Pogo decided to step in. "That's enough!"

"No!" Reginald cut in. "(Y/N) will let us know when she's had enough."

(Y/N) blinked until her vision was clear, but her breathing was starting to weaken. She anxiously clenched her hands into fists, her newly manicured nails biting into her skin.

Wait.

An idea sparking, she flicked her wrists up and sunk her nails into the tentacle, Ben crying out when she ripped it open, blood spilling onto the floor. The tentacle fled back into his body as (Y/N) took in gulps of air. Opponent down, she shakily got to her feet, spinning and kicking the bell over, its ringing signaling her victory. Without a second thought, she went to Ben, stretching a hand out to him. He only glared at her.