Chapter 15: Wedding at the End of the World

A/N: A sad chapter, my loves. There's one paragraph that could be particularly triggering, so I have it marked with bold arrows for those who don't want to read it to skip.

Warnings: ⚠️suicide⚠️, blood and gore, character death, alcohol, mentions of alcohol, blood and death/dying

Word Count: 6817

It was a cataclysmic disaster of ember-turned homes and buildings, the survival rate of zero percent resulting in the extinction of man-kind for a third time. Outside the Hotel Obsidian, that is.

While everything and everyone was being sucked into the radiated black hole outside, the twelve survivors within the hotel were unaffected by the demolition. It was currently the only building left completely intact in the entire world. The Umbrella Academy and what was left of the Sparrow Academy sat together within one of the lounge rooms, quietly awaiting an answer or possibly an end to them as well.

"So," Allison started. "How is it that we're still here, but the whole of the universe is going down the cosmic shitter?"

Viktor shrugged from the chair he sat in. "Maybe we're the last of it flushed."

"Wasn't talking to you."

He rolled his eyes before Luther spoke up from where he sat cuddled up beside Sloane. "Hey, has anyone seen Klaus?"

Sloane looked up at him in realization. "Or Dad?"

"They'll be here." Diego answered.

"Really? Did they... hit traffic?" Ben sarcastically shrugged. "Look, people, we're alive because we're special, right? We're the only ones who can save the universe."

Allison raised her hand. "Uh, question."

"Yes."

"Didn't we just try that and fail miserably?"

"Yeah, because his plan was stupid." Diego cut in. "I got a better one."

Ben rolled his eyes. "'Course you do."

"We go with the large hard-on particle accelerator. You guys do some science, and..." He clicked his tongue and mimicked the swing of a baseball bat. "...we launch the Kugelblitz into outer space. Didn't think I knew that, did ya? It's in Switzerland."

"It's 'hadron', not 'hard-on', ya moron!"

Lila turned herself around from her upside down position on her chair to look at Ben. "Oi! At least he's trying, you shitty little squid. What have you contributed?"

"Actually," Diego pointed at him. "He did blow up half his family."

"Oh, you wanna talk about family problems?" He moved up to Diego. "You know what should have blown up is your face on that neck!"

"I wish I had a cake to hit you with it in your face!"

They switched to the Korean and Spanish language to continue arguing before Five cut them off out of irritation. "Hey!" He shouted. "You guys done? The universe is disappearing outside. So, you can keep rearranging the deck chairs of the Titanic if it makes you feel better. But the fact remains that we are too late."

Everyone in the room scoffed at his words. Never had they ever heard of Five giving up on the end of the world. He always had some sort of solution to a dead-end, to a life-threatening situation. The sound of him accepting their fate didn't sit well with any of them.

"Five, come on." Luther chuckled, hoping his brother was joking.

"It's over, Luther. We failed."