Four

Arm hanging above him, loosely gripping the door frame of their dorm room, the boy stood blocking the entrance. His tall sturdy build had kept in shape throughout the summer by working out more than he did cardio, wanting to thicken up and not be compared to smaller guys like Averman or Banks. 

Swinging back and forth, loud metal music played in the shared dorm as both boys had the same taste in music, girls, and hockey. It was a deep appreciation the two of them enjoyed as best friend and made it easier to express themselves.

The music was turned down by his roommate, who wanted to listen better to what he had to say without jamming off suddenly to the song. Fulton was impressed by the sudden difference in their usual conversation topics since the girl they currently spoke about was being spoken of in a nicer way than normal, in a less sexualized way where either boy wanted to jump her bones. Most girls they talked about was because they wanted to hit it off, and by that, it was always Dean more than the laid back Fulton.

Fingers gripping the top of the door frame, he swung back and forth in the doorway still, head staring at the ceiling. "Wait, wait, wait." Fulton shook his head, throwing himself down onto his messily made bed. "Who's Sully?"

"Ha." Portman laughed. "Um, what was her name?" He thought, trying to remember since he rarely called or referred to her by her real name. "Evangelina?" He questioned. "That brunette girl in our grade."

Fulton nods, trying to comprehend. "You mean Evangeline Sullivan?"

"Yeah, her. That girl you did that science project with last year." Dean continued to explain.

Fulton clapped his hands together with a short laugh. "Oh yeah!" He recalled. "What about her?" He shrugged nonchalantly.

Dean continued to swing, eyes narrowing. "Dude, she isn't the same as last year."

"I know." He agreed. "I saw the way she looks."

"Okay, but whatever she did over the summer, it's improved her hella good." He admitted, wanting his best friend to agree with him. "Hell, she's gained an attitude."

"That," Fulton agreed. "Or you pissed her off like usual."

Portman dropped his arms from above his head and proceeded to draw out the girl's body as he was in awe, gawking over it. "She's a total babe." He shot. "Boobs and ass and everything."

Fulton wasn't always a mega fan of the way Portman tended to describe girls and found it to be rude sometimes. It was offensive on the girl's behalf, but the way he was currently gawking over Evangeline Sullivan was different. He never spoke so highly, yet so lowly, about a girl all once.

He sat up in his bed. "Why does this suddenly matter?"

Dean shrugged. "Look, I have no idea what's happening, but I blame her." He points.

Fulton knew well that Evangeline and Dean never talked much last year and if they did, he never paid attention to her. He embarrassed her any time he could just to make her feel small and for himself to feel joy, it made him laugh every time. However, below the radar, Fulton had noticed the way it made the girl upset and affected her.

She never fought back against his antics and always let him push her around. She was never caught staring at him every now and then, nor was she ever caught blushing. Fulton on the other hand did notice those small signs and figured maybe below the bickering and shadiness they held toward the other, that there was a possibility Evangeline had a crush on Dean.

Now, Fulton knew that she definitely didn't have a crush on Dean.

"So, the girl's changed." He shrugged, replying to Portman. "So what? She'll score a football boyfriend in a matter of weeks and you will still be you."

"Dude, help a Bash Brother out."

"Why?" Fulton stood. "You like her?" He teased, suddenly feeling this new joy upon him at the idea of teasing his cold hearted friend. "You like her. You like her..." He chanted away, jumping on his bed like a toddler.

"Haha, funny."

"I'm serious, man." Fulton continued jumping.

Dean crossed his arms over his chest with a huff, not finding his best friend to be funny.

He didn't know why he was suddenly attracted to Evangeline but it amused him. Unlike last year, he wanted to be around her presence and one of the easiest ways to do so is pester her. It made it look subtle without looking too subtle. He could check her out effortlessly while taunting her as she would assume nothing of the sort.

Fulton looked across the room to his friend. "I'll bet by the end of the semester, you'll both be together." He shrugged simply. "And not gonna lie, I kind of see it already happening."

Dean scoffed harshly. "Yeah, no."

"Watch me be right."

"Gross, definitely not falling for a girl like her."

"Ohhh," Fulton sang in a cheery voice, smiling below it. "But you will, my friend." He continued to sing aloud.