Twenty-Two

The hockey game didn't feel any different to Evangeline than it did the other few times she'd attended. She was very aware that girlfriends tended to be their boyfriend's biggest support, sometimes even more than their own moms. However, she felt like she should be cheering and wanted to, but it was the first game she actually attended as his official girlfriend. Therefore she was shy and didn't want to be noticed. She still felt like just one of the regular people in the stands.

Sitting down from having been clapping after the goal Adam made with an assist by Luis, she glanced around to spot Portman sitting on the bench. She noticed the way he was different when it came to the game, he was more proactive and hard headed. Quite rougher on the ice than he was off, he still held an attitude but she could tell he was driven to play well. He did play dirty; something she wasn't the biggest fan of, but it wasn't her call to make. 

Evie rubbed her hands together, stuffing them into the wide pocket on the front of her grey pull over. Feet tapped as she leaned forward, eyeing the scoreboard as the seconds rolled down from the minutes. There wasn't much left in the game and she was kind of thankful, only because she blamed herself for dressing poorly and found the bench to be hard after a while.

She felt her body shiver and shook lightly before recomposing herself and watched Charlie wave a hand around, motioning for his two forwards to skate down the ice. Behind him, Russ and Fulton were fighting for the puck by the boards. The two of them cornering the player before Russ managed to hit it out with the tip of his stick. On account to seeing Charlie near center ice, Fulton passed it across.

The puck bounced several times from how roughly he'd passed it and she watched Charlie grab it. He skated along the blue line, eyeing for an open teammate as Connie tapped her stick, unable to free herself. "Yeah, yeah!" Ken pushed a guy away from him and cut in through the middle, a dangerous spot to receive the puck.

Passing it over, Ken had gained possession and shot top right, just missing as the goalie blocked it. He sighed as Charlie and Connie tried fighting for the puck. With the other team players shouted and tapped sticks until the puck was gone and freely sliding the ice.

"Ohh yeah!" Fulton hollered, tapping his stick off the side of the boards and watched Russ enter the bench as Portman jumped the boards.

"Hell yeah!" The curly haired boy yelled in return, throwing an arm into the air.

Charlie pointed to the bottom of the net where Julie stood, motioning for Portman to take on the smaller player.

Without hesitation, Portman went after the player who tried grabbing the free puck. He turned and skated backward down the ice to cut the player off, laughing at him as he poked his stick at the boy's skates. "You like that, huh?" He chuckled. "Come on," He teased the boy. "Come get it if ya want it." He winked before stopping.

Dean skated forward and knocked the boy off his feet, who groaned and smacked the ice as Adam laughed, shaking his head and skated in to grab the puck. "Charlie!"

Spotting the boy who just left the bench, Charlie turned and missed the pass when it'd been stolen. He skated quickly down the ice to retrieve it and Evangeline lifted her head, hoping to see someone from the Ducks intersect it. Adam got cornered as Connie had been crushed into the boards, losing her stick and Charlie wasn't fast enough to catch the smaller kid with incredible speed to him.

"Yo!" Fulton pointed with his stick.

Portman turned, shaving ice as he stopped and looked to see where he was pointing. As he noticed the boy on a breakaway, aiming to shoot on The Cat. 

The girl in the stands watched a few people stand up as the Bash Brothers communicated flawlessly just by looks and pointing of sticks. Many frilly tricks weren't common in high school hockey, or in general, but the Ducks played their own kind of hockey to score goals.