4: Older Friends

Timothy

I opened the screen of my phone one more time.

Exactly two minutes had passed since last I had checked. The evening practice wouldn't end for another twenty. I tried smoothing some of the shattered edges of the screen. For my effort, a small corner shard came loose and dropped to the floor.

"Are you in a hurry somewhere?"

I lifted my face to Clover's peering eyes.

"I... Ermm... I promised Valentina I would meet with her after the evening practice ends."

"After she has had her share of violence for the day. Clever." The comment came from Lavender. She had set down the laptop's cover and was watching me.

She and Clover exchanged a look. Clover blushed.

For a moment I felt puzzled.

"Ah," I said when I realized, my own face coloring by what hadn't been said. "I... I know she's gay. I'm not... We just... Stop laughing this instant!"

They were both giggling like teens. I felt my own stern look melting under the pressure.

"I actually promised to talk to a common friend, be there to see if we can't smooth out our differences. All three of us."

Clover sobered suddenly. "You said you knew Blizzard?"

I nodded uneasily, aware that she, being a witch with the glasses she had, must have known what the man was.

"Do you want back up?" She offered. And by the offer took me unawares.

For a moment I was struck numb. I could only stare in amazement at the green haired witch. She smiled.

"Um. No... No... I will be fine. I hope. We really, honestly, were friends for a time." Then I added, speaking straight to her green eyes: "But, thank you. It means a lot to me that you offered."

"Who's this Blizzard you guys are making such a number about?"

We turned to Lavender.

"He is a brute."

"He is a bit weird."

We looked at each other with Clover. Both frowning.

"That's harsh," I said. "He is truly nice, actually. Most of the time. We just fell off. It is a simple misunderstanding. Do you even know him?"

She raised an eyebrow. "I know his kind."

I exchanged a look with Lavender to let her know I thought exactly the same of that kind of a comment. Even when I knew well what Clover actually meant. The sentiment was even, kind of, justified.

"Well," I said. "I cannot really say that wouldn't be an argument. But, I am now really going to go and try to save what little is salvageable of our friendship. I hope there is something left there."

 For Valentina's sake at least.

I took my bag from the canteen table. It was hours past lunch time, and there were few people left eating, though the canteen wouldn't close before eight p.m.  The tables had been overtaken by laptops, tablets, notebooks and paper cups of coffee.

"I'll come see you off," Lavender said, also rising. She let her bag and other possessions scattered on and around the table and saw me out into the rain. I had an umbrella I held over both our heads as we walked down the street toward the gym building.

"Listen," she said. "I don't really know anything about this Blizzard guy. Or what he is involved in. But Clover is just clearly worried..."

"I know," I said, interrupting her.