Timothy: A Room in a Castle

"Timothy!"

I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Timothy!"

A hard wooden floor pressed against a leg that was folded at an odd angle. My head rested against something almost soft. I opened my eyes. They focused on a pipe against the ceiling. A short metal chain hung by the pipe.

I pushed myself to sit on the floor.

"I am sorry. It was a rough throw. I missed the mattress."

"Did I pass out?" I asked Blizzard.

"Only for a second," he said.

The vampire was crouched right by me. Behind him another pair was sparring. I recognized the black haired vampire to be called Plume. He was up against a redhead vampire whose name escaped me just then. She flashed a smile in my direction as she landed a kick to Plume's lean form. Plume had a hard time against her.

Carnation. Her name was Carnation.

"Good to go again?" Blizzard asked.

"What?" I suddenly remembered where I was.

Blizzard repeated the question.

I didn't answer immediately. Instead I rose first to my two feet. Nothing was hurting, but I felt a bit light-headed. Not badly though. I nodded. I was good to go on.

But something was off.

As Blizzard took hold of my jacket at the nape of my neck and by my elbow, I realized what it was.

"You didn't miss," I said, as I reached to mirror the grip.

"Didn't I? Drop the weight."

I bent my knees in a vain effort to prevent him from sweeping my feet from under me. For a while I was busy trying to anchor myself to the floor, as Blizzard applied small efforts to shift my weight from one side to the other.

Then I was off my feet again.

I slammed a hand to the floor as I hit it. Now I was conscious and was left staring at him. The impact had left me numb. I came to my feet slowly this time, staring at the beast in front of me.

"What's the meaning of this?" I asked.

"You don't need the mattress today," Blizzard said. "Today you have been Linked for the first time. I can heal you as we go. The fraction in your ribs is almost healed already. Unlike before, today you will leave without a single bruise."

I felt a type of cold terror travel through me. I hadn't expected it. One could think that being made indestructible would be exciting, rather than scary. Yet I was suddenly terrified. Pain was, after all, what made a person careful and told of damage in the living cells.

"But," I thought aloud, "Isn't it dangerous to practice like this? I mean... Won't it make me careless if we continue this way? Or do you intend to keep me Linked?"

"No, I do not. But the Queen has suggested this type of exercise for you."

I opened my mouth. Closed it.

I was about to ask more when the door to the practice room opened. I didn't turn to see, but Blizzard waved over my shoulder.

Chinese was exchanged over my head. All I understood was that they talked of me. Which was more than enough to finally make me take interest in the newcomer.