16: Bare Bones

Plume

I was sitting opposite Mo on a cushion in her room. The queen poured some more tea into a delicate small porcelain cup. The liquid had a vague bluish tint to it. I took the offered cup with hands that shook lightly. My heart, that some days didn't so much as stir, was pounding in my chest. And there was nothing I could do about it. To my shame.

"So..." the Queen started. "Yesterday, you wanted to go to the Forest. You lived in a house that exploded earlier today. Tonight, you have no inclination to go away. And furthermore, you are telling me, it was I who called you away from that house before last night. All this is right, isn't it?"

I nodded. I was looking at the cup. And wished furiously I had had at least some kind of a robe as a cover.

I didn't have a robe. Neither did Mo. We were sitting naked. And just that day, I really felt it. I had sat here at least half a dozen times without so much as boxers, but tonight I felt truly uncomfortable in my skin. I supposed that was the purpose of Mo's insistence on nakedness inside her own room. You couldn't bring anything to cover your intentions nor any object that was yours. Just your naked body.

"I really cannot tell why I would have wanted to go to the elves. Maybe I was drunk. I don't remember drinking anything. But that is really the only explanation I can offer."

"Mmm."

I didn't need to lift my gaze to perceive her movement as she leaned back. Or rather straightened up, as the cushion offered little backrest.

"You know, Plume, you are really the only person who has any links to that house. I can see in my documents that I bought it only days before the explosion. But you tell me you have lived there for weeks. Do you have any explanation for this?"

I shook my head.

A silence issued.

She continued thinking aloud: "And you did show me the message advising you to come here for the day when it happened. So, clearly, I was aware something was going on in that house. But I cannot remember how I might have known that. Hellebore had called, which I can see in the log. But I called him before you came. And he doesn't know either."

I took a sip from the cup. The liquid was very hot. But drinking it was the only vain human gesture I could do. Had I had a pen, I would have fiddled with it.

"Why were you in that house, Plume? And why cannot you tell me the reason?"

I laid the cup on the table between us. Reluctantly, I lifted my eyes to hers. There was no expression to read. Her face and tone were devoid of all emotions. So they always seemed to be. I had never seen another vampire or even a humanoid robot so devoid of any apparent emotions.

"I can describe to you the plan," I told her empty eyes. "I can tell you of the smells inside. That the kettles were in a white cupboard over a huge sink. That the sheets in the upstairs bedroom had little violet flowers as a pattern. That the downstairs sofa had wooden armrests and little curved wooden legs. The cushions wore a brown flower pattern. The house had a backyard. A glass door of bulletproof glass led there. I know the previous owner had shot it with a rifle meant for hunting to test it. It had a small pothole as proof. And despite all this, I cannot tell you why I was there or how I know these details."

"You really cannot."

It was a statement. So there was nothing to answer.

I felt a film forming. I wanted to swear. Hit something, or someone. I felt frustrated to extremes. Why couldn't I do it?

Why couldn't I answer her!

Why couldn't I drop?

I sat still and drank the tea. She poured me another steaming cup once the first was consumed.