A Fork In The Road

Jessica arrived back home with a heavy feeling in her chest. She feels scared for Arthur and even everybody else. Arthur the most, with all this going on and he seemed like he started to catch something. As she dismounted her horse, she even started to think of Jesse, how's he gonna feel? What if that cough isn't just a normal one? Is there even a normal cough? She felt for the man, but she shook her head and convinced her to mind her business, help them when they ask to and not insist.

It seemed like the weather was matching up to her feelings. It was a foggy morning in Saint Denis. She walks on the muddy pathway to the door, greeting everyone around, forcing a smile. She enters the big house to see Miriam and Abraham having a chat at the front desk. They turn and gave a loving smile to the woman who entered.

"Well, how are you darlin'?" Abraham asked.

Jessica wrapped her arms around her and exhaled through her nose. "Well, I feel fine, but I've had better days."

Miriam frowned and approached her, "How was the gang?"

Jessica then leans on the desk with Miriam and Abraham to listen to. "The men got home, everyone's fine... For now... They got into another gunfight last night and I had to help."

The couple suddenly had worried looks but Jessica assured them.

"Don't worry, all's good, I ain't even hurt, thanks to God. But... I just feel so much pity for all of them. You should've seen how hopeless they all looked this past few weeks... I don't know how else to help..." she expressed.

Miriam then hold her hands, "Child, you've done more than enough, and surely they all see that."

Jessica smiled to that, then Abraham spoke.

"Also, reading the letters you've been sending us as updates, any more leads on Jesse?"

Jessica sighed, "Nope, all we know is that both him and John are still in Sisika... But, there's talk of hanging them..." she tried to compose herself at the thought of her lover being at the end of a rope...

"I'm sure it won't come to that." the older man assures.

The younger woman laughs bitterly, "Yeah well, the leader don't seem to care that much... So I guess we're gonna have to get them out of there ourselves."

"Well, if you need any help... We're always here." Miriam said.

Jessica smiled but shook her head. "I know Jesse enough that he wouldn't want ya'll to get involved in this... And I'd agree."

"He saved our children... Maybe it'd be time for us to save him." The older woman said.

Jessica smiled and enjoyed the silence for a moment. Then, Miriam spoke again.

"By the way... your parents sent a letter after you told them about your engagement." She said as she walked behind the desk to retrieve the letter then hands it to Jessica.

"Really?" the younger woman said and opened the letter.

"To our dear sweet Jessica,

We are so thrilled about your engagement with this Jesse boy you've been talking about for months. He seems like a good man, perfect for you, we suppose. Your mother and I decided that we'll be arriving at Lemoyne in the next three days if thunderstorms aren't going to be a problem. We are oh so excited to see you again, and finally meet the man you're about to marry. Mahal na mahal ka namin, aming prinsesa. (We love you so much, our princess.)

Yours,

Tasio Ilang"

Jessica smiled when she read the last sentence, remembering those words coming from her father. She looks to the Golds and thanks them.