Chapter III

Y/N POV

I was sitting on the ground next to the couch with Wolf sitting next to me. Lucy was laying down on the couch, smoking a cigarette.

Y/N: So uh...What's the plan for today, L-Lucy?

Lucy: You're going to become an edge, right?

Y/N: It was Tadasuke's last request for me...so I yeah.

Lucy: Then I'll be showing you the how to do the ropes. Get ready. I'll cook breakfast.

Y/N: Can I learn to cook too?

Lucy: Wha?

Y/N: Can you teach me how to cook?

Lucy: Umm...sure? Why do you want to cook?

Wolf: Y/N Likes to learn new things.

Lucy: I see. I guess I can try to teach you.

Y/N: *smiles* Thank you, Lucy! What are we cooking?

Lucy: Something...how about pancakes?

Y/N: Alright! I'm ready when you are!

Lucy gave a small smile and lead me into the kitchen. Since she was going to teach me herself...and also because I liked the sound of her voice, I refused to use my ability to search for any information I wanted and instead listened to her talk me through it. As we cooked, we talked and I noticed Wolfy watching us from the living room.

Lucy: So Y/N? I remembered that you said you thought last night's sky was beautiful...do you like stargazing?

Y/N: Stargazing...*does a quick search* Yeah. I think the stars can be very beautiful! Then again, almost everything is beautiful to me considering where I came from.

Lucy: What do you mean?

Y/N: (I can trusty Lucy). I...I was kept in a facility for experiments so I never got to see the night sky until the last time I was ever in the facility.

Lucy: So you managed to escape? That's good.

Wolf: Not quite. We were abandoned in the facility for five years. I managed to keep Y/N alive by rationing his food and water carefully.

Lucy: Wha?! You stayed in there in five years by yourselves?!

Y/N: *embarrassed chuckle* Y-Yeah...I was scared of being punished and I was always assuming that the research staff would come back...but they never did. After Wolfy mentioned that we only had very few supplies left, I decided that we needed to leave.

Lucy: So Wolfy is the reason you're still alive to this day?

Y/N: Pretty much.

Lucy: I see.

An awkward silence slowly approached us and I felt too flustered to speak to her so I did a real quick search to try and understand what I was feeling

Y/N: (A crush? A crush is when you are in love with someone but do not have a relationship with them...) *glances at Lucy and blushes while averting his eyes* (Let's see...a good way to talk to your crush...reference something he or she likes...I wonder if Lucy has an interest in Astronomy? I did. notice that moon poster she had...I-It's worth a shot!) H-Hey Lucy?

Lucy: Yes?

Y/N: You mentioned stargazing...d-do you like astronomy?

Lucy: Huh? Oh. Uhh yeah. I do like astronomy.

Y/N: Alright...Uhh...(What do I say, what do I say?! P-Perhaps a fun fact about astronomy? Maybe that'll work!) Did you know there are more stars in the universe than grains of sand on earth?

Lucy: Wha? *scoffs playfully* How do you know that?

I could feel Wolfy staring at me and I could tell he wanted me to lie to her, but I couldn't bring myself to completely lie to her.

Y/N: I r-read it in a book the facility gave me. I thought it was interesting, but from what I remember, since the universe is much more than our galaxy, the Milky Way, scientists could only estimate that the universe contains approximately 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars, or a septillion. And While no one can actually count every single grain of sand on the earth, the estimated total from researchers at the University of Hawaii, is somewhere around seven quintillion, five hundred quadrillion grains.

Lucy: Heh. You're a nerd.

I blushed in embarrassment and we then finished cooking and we started eating and I enjoyed every bite.

Y/N: So tasty!

Lucy: Yeah. We did a good job cooking. I'm impressed by how well you did.

Y/N: Well I had a good teacher!

Lucy's face blushed a bit but she thanked me for the compliment and we finished eating. After that, I cleaned the dishes for her and once I was done, I saw Lucy sitting next to Wolf who seemed cautious about her but nevertheless spoke with her.

Lucy: So... the boy's your master, huh? How did you end up with him?

Wolf: I was designed by the research staff of the facility we were in to keep him company. While they wanted to keep human interaction to a minimum, they feared Y/N going psycho from complete isolation. As a result, i was created. I am a IF Prototype LQ-84i, but Y/N mostly calls me Wolf or Wolfy.

Lucy: So I've noticed. He seems like he can be trouble for you at times but you undoubtedly have the absolute loyalty to him. Why?

Wolf: We were the only two who were allowed to talk to each other. Y/N has been nothing but friendly and caring for me and as a result, I will never turn my back on him.

Lucy: Hmmm...Fair enough I suppose. *looks up* Oh. You're back. Ready to get to work on training?

Y/N: *nods head with a smile* Yes ma'am!

Lucy: Good. Before we get to work, Maine wanted to talk to you and Wolf in person. He's outside right now.

Y/N: O-Oh. Alright...A-Am I in trouble?

Lucy: Who knows. Let's get going.

I nodded my head slowly and we walked outside where Maine and Dorio were waiting.

Dorio: Hey kiddo. My condolences...

Y/N: Thanks. What did you need Maine? Did I do something wrong?

Maine: Nah. Just been thinking about your dog. Sure, he's a force to be reckoned with, but he's lacking weaponry. As a result, if it's alright with you, we found a ripperdoc who would be willing to upgrade and improve Wolf.

I looked at Wolf with a quizzical look.

Y/N: Are you okay with that, Wolfy? It might hurt...

Wolf: If it's to protect you, I'll be fine. And I can't feel pain. I'm more worried about you being alone.

Maine: Don't worry. Lucy'll be with him. She's gonna be training the rookie after all.

Lucy: Yep.

Wolf: Your orders, Y/N?

Y/N: Hmmm...Well, *smiles* I trust Lucy and Dad trusted Maine so I'm sure I can trust his crew as well. If it's possible to upgrade Wolfy, then we  should do it.

Wolf: Very well.

Maine: Sweet. Get in the back, Wolf. We'll all meet back here, k?

Lucy: Sounds good.

Y/N: K~!

Wolf: Stay safe Y/N.

After that, Wolf jumped into the back of Maine's car while Lucy started walking through the streets of Night City while I followed behind her