5

School had went by just as usual except for Bella ranting on about some boy named Edward not being there so she couldn't really ask what his deal had been.

Edward. Why did that name seem familiar?

It seemed to nag in the back of her skull, but she pushed it to the side. She chose to focus on school for the time being.

It worked for the most part. At least until she got out to her jeep. Gabriella groaned softly when she saw all four of her tires were slashed. "Really? Do these idiots not realize how expensive those tires are?" She threw her bag into the vehicle, slamming the door with more force than she had really meant to.

"Hey, little bit, car trouble?" She turned to find Emmett and Rosalie standing there.

Gabby nodded, looking to her tires. "Yeah, someone decided to be a jerk."

"We could give you a ride home?" Alice's cheerful voice chimed in as she walked over to her family, Jasper not far behind her.

The blonde male nodded in agreement with Alice. "Alice and I will drive her home." He told Emmett and Rosalie.

Emmett walked over to the girl's jeep, looking at the tires. "I think I have some of these at home. You can have them if you want." He offered. He held his hand out to her. "I'll get the tires on and I can bring your jeep back."

Gabriella would admit she was hesitant to hand her keys over to a boy she had only had a few conversations with, but her dad was a police officer. She hesitantly handed the keys over. "Please be careful. This jeep was the last thing my mom and dad bought for me together."

Emmett grinned and took the keys. "No worries, little bit. I'll take care of it." He looked to Rosalie. "Come on, let's get this done."

Alice smiled and looked at Gabby then over to Jasper. "Actually, Jazz, can you run her home? I have this huge paper I have to get started on. I'll catch a ride with Rose and Emmett."

Jasper seemed to get a little tense before he forced his body to relax once more. "Sure." He nodded before he motioned for Gabby to follow him. He got the keys for Rosalie's car since they were all going in Emmett's jeep. It was a good thing they had separate rides that day, not that it would have really made a difference to them.

The silence between the two was a bit stifling before Gabby decided to break it. "So, you guys moved here two years ago, right? How do you like it?"

Jasper glanced at her, this look of amusement dancing behind his eyes. "It's a big change from where we lived before."

"How so?" She asked, curiosity lacing her tone.

"We lived in a little city in Alaska called Denali with some of our relatives." He explained. He found himself to be able to talk freely with this young woman.

Gabby seemed to light up at this. "Alaska? I've always wanted to visit. The norther lights, are they really as amazing as they seem? My mother used to talk of us going there to see them together."

Jasper found himself being the curious one when he felt such sorrow was over her at talking about her mother. "Used to? She doesn't want to go anymore?"

He felt the sorrow mix with guilt and grief. "My mother passed a few months ago. She was very sick."

Jasper used his ability to allow a serene wave to wash over her. He could see her body relax slightly as it did. "I'm sorry to hear that."

The two changed conversation topics, the flow of it seeming to be effortless from the two of them. Much to his disappointment, he found that they were at her house in no time.

Gabriella noticed Bella's truck was there, but Charlie's cruiser was gone. "I really appreciate the ride." She opened the door, but paused for a moment. "Would you like to come in for a minute?"

Jasper wanted to say yes. He wanted to spend more time with her, but he had this nagging voice telling him it was risky. What if he hurt her?

Her blood didn't drive him crazy like normal people. In fact, her scent calmed him and reminded him of times when he was human. When there wasn't this constant hunger.

"Sure. I would love to."