Birk and the Roundbin Tavern

I splashed my face with water from the bucket and stared at myself in the mirror. A woman stared back at me with hollow, blank eyes, dull red hair with one long strand cut short from the rest, and startling white skin. This is not the women that I once knew, this is the face of a women with nothing, but a pain and loss filled past.

   I turned away from the mirror, disgusted with myself, and pulled on a non-descript brown dress quickly tying the laces. Running out the door I went downstairs to prepare for my evening shift at the tavern.

"Aye Josie!" A big man with a rumbling voice said from behind the tavern's counter

    I waved at him and walked over to talk, before the townsmen started arriving after a hard day of plowing.

"Hello Birk."

Birk smiled at me and slid a bit of ale to me from across the counter, "Looks like you could use a bit of pick me up."

I prepared to slide the ale back to him with a remark, "I'm fine Birk you have already done so much for me."

He waved me off with a gruntled response "We needed a new waitress anyway. No problem at all..."

     It has been about two months since the death of Jason and J by my hands and I had been moving from town to town looking for board. I never expected to find something permanent, but I had saved Birk's daughter, Marilyn, from a bandit's hand a few years back and he owed me. So for now I am serving as a waitress at the Roundbin Tavern in exchange for room and board.

    I shrugged my shoulders and sipped the ale, silently glad for its warmth as it slid down my throat.I looked aorund the tavern to find no men there as of yet.

"Where are all the men? They are usually here by now."

     Birk leaned one the counter with his elbows before answering, "All of them are at the town center apparently a herald has come from the kingdom." I instantly stiffened and my mug slammed down on the counter even though I did not mean it to. "Josie, are you alright?"

I ignored his question and stared into his eyes, "What has the herald come about?"

"I only heard snatches...something about needing men for a big building project for the kingdom."

     My shoulders relaxed and I let out a big sigh. Safe...for now. I had been finding wanted posters, for the murderess that is wanted for killing the Duchess of Newberry, her daughter, the daughter's friend, and Lord Jason. The penalty was a hanging if caught and I could not die...not yet. Not until I have fulfilled my promise to Jason and forgiven myself. 

    Suddenly a rush of men came into the tavern chattering exciingly and I got to work. Walking up to a trio of men I asked them what they wanted.

"Only your finest ale of course!"

     Shaking my head as the men made snide remarks behind my back I gave the orders to Birk,who quickly began filling the mugs.

This is going to be a long night....

..............................................................................................................................................................

AUTHORS NOTE:

Hey fans, readers, and all you haters,

Hahahahaha okay sorry I just had to say that because it rhymed....

Anyways this is the first chapter in my second book of the Lady Josephine series. I really shouldn't be starting a new book considering I am in the middle of two others, but I couldn't resist!

Oh and please....

DO NOT FORGET TO VOTE, FAN, COMMENT, AND STAY AWESOME!

=),

Emilestie