Overtaking

“Get out of my sight. Now.”

A small, arrogant frown appeared on Eleanor’s face. Her blonde hair was brighter than ever, even under the dim light of the tavern. 

“Damn, Josie! Are you still mad about that?”

I raised an eyebrow, “Of course. You left me behind after we took that job in the southern parts. Not only that you took the money as well! Did you know that was my earnings for the entire month?”

“Oh come on! With your reputation you could have gotten a job in a second, and finished it even faster.” I sighed and turned to walk away, when Eleanor grabbed the skirt of my dress. “Josie, I am here about your last job. There were some complications that occurred.”

My body ran cold and my fingers froze around the mug in my hands. Complications? “Eleanor, where did you hear about this?”

“Josie, you seem to forget that I have connections everywhere. I am trying to help you as a friend, not as a fellow assassin. Can you please listen to me?” Eleanor pleaded

I closed my eyes slowly before answering, “Wait until closing, I will meet with you afterwards.”

“Of course.”

I opened my eyes just as I heard a sharp call from a customer, “Hey you! Waitress! Can I get another one of these mugs for my buddy here?” Turning towards Eleanor one more time, I nodded my head.

The night passed in a boring façade of waiting. My mind was elsewhere and Bart noticed. He told me several times to take the rest of the night off, but I continued to decline his offers. I endured the grabbing and the snipes from the other customers at my red hair as always, it kept me sane.

“Hey sweetheart you as fiery as that hair underneath the sheets?”

“Hey jerk, why don’t you try after you get better flattery?” It always pleased me to watch a man close his mouth in utter defeat.

Finally, the pub closed and I said good night to Bart and his wife. I told them I was going for an evening walk, which for most young girls my age was not advisable. But really? What were a couple of drunkards going to do against a first rate assassin?

My short dress swished against my ankles roughly and I briefly remembered the feel that silk had against my skin so long ago. Was it months ago? It only felt like a day since I was laughing at court balls and enjoying the flattering of Jason. Jason...Ever thing I did reminded me of him. A man would walk in that looked like Jason, and sometimes I would allow myself to believe for a second that he was still alive. Is it okay to dream? The one short piece of hair was the most evident piece of evidence. I had laid that piece of hair over his cold body, and watched as it was soaked a deeper red with his blood.  I would have killed myself long ago if it had not been for the promise I made Jason. My heels clicked as I turned into an alleyway, just as I did a small voice called out to me.

“Josie! What’s the hurry?”

I stopped and turned to face Eleanor, “What is the news?”

“I will tell you but first we need to talk about you Josie. You look horrible!” She took my shoulder and looked me straight in the eyes,” What happened to you?”

I pulled her hands off me and pulled my eyes away from hers. My eyes held horrors that I did not want her to see. “It does not matter to you.”

Eleanor was surprised at my abruptness and clenched her delicate hands. Her hands were not that of a normal killer. She specialized in poisons, a delicate practice as she called it. “Of course it matter Josie. Assassins are a close group and we are starting to become few and far between.”