An old friend

Chapter 2: An old friend

The men started pouring in after the announcement from the herald, and we were ready for them. After so many months working at Birks, I began to learn the routine. Birk made the drinks and took care of any "touchy customers"....The cook, who happened to be Birk's wife, was also quick to spot the troublemakers or bandits....The other waitresses were also sort of spies, watching and waiting to find the perfect customer in order to make the most money.....and well....I haven't quite found a place yet.

Running around I dropped mugs on various tables, while waiting for the call from Mary that another customer has arrived. Just as I put another mug down the call came, "We have a new customer ladies!" I rushed to grab the customer and put him at one of my designated tables, but another waitress, Belinda, caught him before I could. Damn I just lost more money.

While you work here the salaries work around how many customers you get and I didn't get many....The customers looked for a pretty face and lately my sleep-ridden eyes and wild red hair seemed to rub people the wrong way. With and exasperated sigh I continued with the little tables I had filled.

Finally, the call came again: "We have a new customer ladies!" I saw Belinda eyeing the tall figure covered in a cloak, but this time I was faster.

I smiled, which probably looked more like a grimace, and grabbed the hand. The hand was rough from training, much like mine was before I quit the business of killing. Intrigued I led him to a empty table in the back.

"Hello sir, may I get you some ale. It's the best in town!" A pause came from the man and I looked at him, puzzled, "Sir?"

"No, I am looking for someone else....A killer without rival...Someone renowned for never failing. A woman known as Josie?" My eyes snapped up, this voice was feminine, and one I knew quite well.

"Eleanor? Is that you?"

Slowly the figure took of the hood, which covered its face. "Now, who else could it be, my little fox?"

....................................

...................................

Hey everybody,

I know it is actually very short....but I had not written anything in a couple months and I figured I would start off small and work my way up. I apologize for taking so long to write....but for whatever reason I couldn't think of what to write anymore. I had a plan in my head of how to write the second (and perhaps last) book, but I felt that it did not work with the story. After much thought, and lots of encouragement from various readers...I decided to introduce another character who should be a big balancer in the story. I cannot tell you how long it is going to take to get the next chapter out, but hopefully soon!

Emilestie