Chapter Two: Making a Friend

So, while I was unpacking, Mal tried to make a deal with me. She finally revealed what her mother's plan was. Which was to steal Fairy Godmother's wand so Maleficent could take over the world and set all the villains free. In other words, she wants me to help them. As much as I would love to get my father out of that place, I told her no. He wanted me here for a second chance and I'm not wasting it. But I did tell her that I'm always here if she needed anything. For a price, of course.

She just groaned and left me alone. Back to unpacking and thoughts of redecorating. While I was unpacking, I noticed a book I hadn't put in. I took it out to see no title. So I opened it and read it. It was spells. My father's spells! He always had this spell book but never used it because, well, we can't use magic on the Isle. I guess it's time to do some magic. I looked through the entire book to see what spells I could do and which ones to avoid. There were even some potions in here.

I soon found the spell that I could use to re-design my room. Well, let's just say it took a few tries before I actually got it right. Now, this is better than a pink room. And this spell gave me some books to read and somewhere brew potions. But it's late so I'll pass on that for now. I got into bed and went to sleep. The next morning, I went to my first class. Goodness Class. It wasn't a very fun class but one I had to take because I'm the kid of a villain. Everyone else seemed bored during this class.

While Fairy Godmother was teaching, I just kept looking at this spell book, hoping to learn a few spells in class. Safe to say that I avoided the one that I could use to go wherever I wanted in a puff of smoke. I'll save that one for later. During class, a girl walked in with a clipboard, squeaking in fear as she walked past us. She handed the clipboard to Fairy Godmother asking her to sign what was on it. Fairy Godmother introduced us to the girl. It was her daughter, Jane. I see the resemblance. Except she seemed very timid.

Jane left as quickly as she came and Fairy Godmother continued the lesson. Only for the boys to fight over answering the question right. Fairy Godmother got their attention once they really started getting brought with each other. She said that she would only encourage them to use that kind of energy n the Tourney Field. The what now? I would later find out that it was a sport that the boys played. They never won a tournament. Somehow not a surprise. Anyway, the class continued and nothing very interesting happened. Until Fairy Godmother stopped me from leaving. She wanted a word with me. So, I stayed behind as asked.

"Now, I know your father is Rumplestilskin so I wanted to have a little talk about that," Fairy Godmother said.

"Let me guess: Don't make ridiculous deals, don't con people into doing something horrible for me to get what they want and all that stuff," I said.

"If you do have any of your father's magic in you, I encourage you to use it for good, not evil."

"Oh, I planned to. But I'll still want something in return."

"(Y/N)-"

"Don't worry. I'll be reasonable. I'm not going to take someone's firstborn child or anything terrible. Just little things. Like a necklace or something. Or just them getting things for me that I can't get myself."

"Why do you insist on something in return for your help?"

"As father always told me 'All magic comes at a prince,''," I said exactly as he says it, "sometimes that price is for the spell or just so I can get something out of it. Because, if I don't ask for anything in return, people will just take advantage of me. And I don't want that."

Fairy Godmother nodded., "You make a good point. Just don't do anything terrible. Alright."

"Alright."

And I was allowed to leave. And I went to all the other classes that I had which I'm not going to get into because they were boring. I went on a walk afterward to see if I could get anything for potion making. Just in case I do make one. I found some toadstools on my walk around the forest and started picking them. That's when I heard a voice behind me.

"(Y/N)?" 

It was Ben. I stood up and turned to him.

"Prince Bennyboo," I said really just to tease him.

"It's just Ben," Ben said with an embarrassed chuckle

"That nickname is so demeaning, you know that?"

"Audrey likes it so I let her call me that."

"If you say so, Dearie." 

Oh god, I am my father. He asked me if I wanted to walk with him. I only agreed because I wanted to make a friend. So, I put the toadstools in my bag and followed him.

"So, how are you liking Auradon so far?" Ben asked

"It's... something," I said, "Kind of missing the shop though."

"The shop?"

"On the Isle, my dad and I own a Pawnshop. I help him out because, since he's powerless on the Isle, he has a limp and it's just easier to have help."

"Why would he have a limp?"

"Before he became the Dark One, he purposely broke his foot to save himself from going into battle against Ogars. He was told by a powerful little girl that he would die in battle leaving his wife at the time a widow to look after his first child. A child he didn't know until then he was going to be born."

"So now he has a limp because of his choice?"

"Yeah. He just wanted to be there for his son. But he also joined the war to prove to the town that he wasn't a coward like his father before him. So, it was either he would die that day and prove that he was no coward or go home and be a better father than his own."

"I didn't know about this."

"Because you never bothered to learn. Or your parents didn't. Just throw him on the Isle for using Dark Magic."

Ben stopped walking for a moment, "maybe he isn't so bad."

I turned to him, "He went down a path of Darkness because he wanted to protect his family. But it became obsessive that it only tore his family apart. When I came into the picture, he promised to be a better man. And I believe he's done that. I want to prove that I can do the same. I want to do what he did but better."

Ben nodded, "You know, I think the mansion he made when he came here is still in the forest somewhere. If you want, you can have it."

"Let me get used to my own room before I get used to my own mansion."

Ben laughed a little and said it was fine. But it was there if I wanted it. I kept that in mind. Ben walked me back to my dorm and bid each other goodbye. Maybe he's not so bad.