Chapter Fourteen: Taking Down The Barrier

Almost a week later, everyone was at the entrance of Auradon for Mal and Ben's engagement party. But, before I get into that, I finally opened my Pawn Shop to the public. I moved in completely and now I work there in my spare time. Vixen is my guard fox when I'm in my room or in the back studying for classes. Or at least she will be. It's still the summer holidays at the moment. But business has gone well so far. I've sold things and had people give me things to put in the shop, but I am waiting for someone to make a deal with me. But I'm in no rush. Back to the Engagement party. Mal and Ben arrived and people cheered for them. They walked up to a balcony where Ben wanted to make a speech:

"Lady Mal and I wanna thank you for celebrating our engagement with us today. I couldn't be prouder or happier to call you my queen. So... raise your glasses. To our future queen of Auradon."

"To our queen of Auradon!" everyone repeated. 

Everyone cheered and took a sip of their drinks. Jay and Carlos asked for a speech from Mal with a mocking posh voice. Everyone laughed and waited for Mal to say something.

"I can't," Mal began.

Everyone gasped at that. She doesn't want to make a speech or she doesn't want to be queen?

"I can't be Queen of Auradon," Mal told us

Ben looked concerned and turned to Mal. They whispered to each other before Mal turned back to us. 

"We made a decision... to close the barrier forever. And it was my idea. But it's wrong. I've learned... that you can't live in fear because it doesn't actually protect you from anything. You never know where the bad is gonna come from. And you never know where the heroes are gonna come from either. Without Uma and her pirates, Auradon would be gone. And without Hades... my father-" Everyone gasped again, "Audrey would be gone. And I've learned that not everyone chooses what side they're on either. For almost an entire day, (Y/N) Gold was controlled by a dagger and forced to side with evil. Something she never wanted to do. We are all capable of good and bad, no matter which side of the barrier we come from. And that's why I can't be Queen of just Auradon. I have to be Queen of the Isle, too, and it's time that we take the barrier down forever."

Wait, really? I'm going to ignore what Mal said about my experience in her speech and think about what she said about the barrier. No more picking and choosing? Just let everyone live together, no matter who or what they are? Maybe my Dad can finally have a second chance here in Auradon! I'm so excited about this!

"I choose to be a king who moves forward," Ben spoke up, "It's time for forgiveness. It's time for new beginnings. The barrier will come down."

Excited about the news, Carlos cheered at the news, making everyone laugh. Everyone clapped for the two. Mal motioned for her gang and me to come up with her. Getting Vixen to follow too, I joined everyone on the balcony. Fairy Godmother gave Mal her wand, ready to let her bring the barrier down. 

"To make the world a better place..." Mal started the spell

"...we have to do it face to face," the rest of us finished.

Mal pointed the wand at the Isle, taking the barrier down and taking away the clouds that always hovered over it. And a permanent bridge new connected the Isle and Auradon. Time to start a new. But first, a song from both the Isle and Auradon. I still didn't join in. But everyone celebrated this amazing day and everyone in Auradon welcomed the Isle kids with open arms. As everyone went into Auradon, I heard a voice behind me that sounded a little different from what I remember.

"Hello, Dearie."

I smiled at first and turned around to see my father. But he looked different. His skin had changed to a golden reflection that would change depending on lighting making it appear green or gray, his eyes were dilated and became an amber color instead of the hazel eyes I was used to, his teeth were rotten appearing yellow, his hair took on a reddish tinge and almost seemed greasy and his nails had turned black. But his voice had also changed. He still had his Scottish accent but it seemed more childish and maybe a bit giggly. Is this what he's like as the Dark One? I thought he would just stay the way I was used to. Looks like I was wrong.

"Dad?" I asked just surprised at this point

"Yes, Dearie. It is me. Now that the barrier is down and my magic is restored, I am once again, the Dark One," Dad said with a smile, "hope you're not too frightened."

"I'm not frightened. Just surprised," I said, "I'm just happy to have you here instead of on the Isle."

"As am I, Dearie. But I hear you've opened your own Pawn Shop. Replacing our old one already," Dad said acting dramatic.

I chuckled, "I just wanted to set myself up for when I finished school. But we can both work in this new one now that you're here."

"Or I can keep mine on the Isle and you can keep yours here in Auradon so people can go to whoever's closest. How does that sound?"

"Perfect."

Vixen walked up to Dad to say hello to him. Dad kneeled down to her and gave her some pets. These two should get along well. After our reunion, Ben found us, wanting to ask my dad something. He asked if he wanted his old mansion back. Oh yeah, I never took that from Ben. Dad obviously wanted his home back. He made it, after all. So, Dad moved back into the mansion and made a room for me to live in. So, I moved out of my Pawn Shop to move in with my dad. Finally, things are how they should be. Or so I thought.