Chapter Three: Love problems

Once again Mal came to me asking for something that she couldn't pay the price for. Well, more like she didn't even bother once I mentioned that she had to give me something for it. She wanted a love spell. I don't have love spells but I do have love potions. But I needed a price for it and to give her a warning about it but she wouldn't listen to me. I tried to give her the warning first but she just demanded it.

So I mentioned the price which is when she walked off saying she would make one herself. Well, I tried. Though I honestly expected her to come running back to me when her spell or potion didn't work. Until I witnessed her own spell working. It was the day of the big Tourney Game and Mal wanted to offer Ben a cookie she made. After way too much convincing, Ben ate it trying to prove that he trusts her.

Whatever she had put in the cookie started to work and he was practically helpless for her. And it only got worse from there. After Jay had to drag him away from Mal, everyone headed to the Tourney game to watch Auradon Prep vs some other school. I have no idea what this game is supposed to be so I'll skip to the ending. Ben ended up being the one winning for Auradon's team before doing something I just wanted to miss but I didn't.

He confessed his love to Mal in front of everyone, including Audrey who was one of the cheerleaders. And then proceeded to sing about how ridiculous his love for Mal was and asked her if he mentioned that he loved her. I wanted to escape through the crowd to get away from whatever this scene was but I couldn't leave. I will say, this song is better than the one that my love potion usually makes.

Even after all this chaos, Mal wouldn't even kiss him but she did agree to go to the coronation with him. Oh yeah, he's going to be King next week on Friday and we're all invited to his coronation. Am I going? We'll see. But it was the next day when I finally had something interesting happen. I was making a potion just to test it really when I got a knock on the door. I used the magic that I had been practicing to open the door for whoever it was. It was Ben with his hair all soaked. I stepped away from the potion and sat cross-legged on my bed.

"Looks like you've been busy, Dearie," I said getting used to using that nickname.

"I went to the Enchanted Lake with Mal today on a... date," Ben said

"Isn't that what couples do?"

"Here's the thing," Ben sat next to me, "It wasn't me. I think Mal spelled me."

"Explain," I pretended not to know what she had done.

"I think she used a love spell on me but I don't know why. Do you know anything about this?"

"Now that you mention it, she did come to me the other day for a love potion. Didn't explain to me why she wanted it but I didn't give it to her."

"Why not?"

"She didn't want to hear my price or the warning. So she left saying she would make it herself."

"Can you find out why she did this?"

"And what am I getting out of this?"

Ben seemed to remember that I had a price for everything. But I was one step ahead of him because I saw that he was struggling.

"How about I tell you what I want from you," I said

"Name it," Ben said desperately.

"I want a fox."

Ben looked confused, "a fox? Why a fox?"

"It gets lonely in here."

"Okay, I'll get you a fox."

"Fox first then you get your information."

"Why not now?"

"How do I know you'll pay up?"

"Fair enough," Ben stood up, "I'll bring the fox. I promise."

"I don't doubt it, Dearie."

Ben left and I used my magic to close the door. Now, how do I get this information out of Mal? She's already a tough customer. Well, I'll give it a try. Just to give it a go, I tried a teleportation spell to go to their dorm more quicker. In a puff of smoke, I appeared in their room, sat down in a chair just as I had imagined. They didn't notice me at first until I got their attention which scared them a bit.

Mal asked me what I wanted and I just told her that I wanted information, mentioning nothing about Ben's little visit. I told her that I knew she put a spell on him and that I wanted to know why. She didn't want to tell me so I decided to panic her a bit. I said it was fine but wondered what would happen when I broke the spell and told him what she had done. She freaked out and said that she would tell me but to not tell Ben.

She even promise the best life for my dad and me once she and her mother took over Auradon. Sounds like a reasonable price. So, I got comfortable waiting for this information. She put a spell on Ben to ensure she could be as close as she could to Fairy Godmother during the coronation so she could steal her wand. Because the only people who would be upfront were him, his parents, and his girlfriend.

Oh, that explains everything. I thanked her and disappeared back into my room. I know I should probably tell him. But I want to see if she ends up telling him the truth later on. So, I waited for Ben to come back with my fox. And I was actually surprised to see him a few hours later with a fox. I didn't think this information meant so much to him. Before I committed to my half of the deal, I got friendly with my new pet who was hesitant at first but soon warmed up to me and joined me on the bed. I would name her Vixen. Ben sat next to me again.

"So... Did you find anything out?" Ben asked

"I certainly did, Dearie," I said petting Vixen, "So, the reason she used a love spell on you was because she really, really liked you but was jealous of the fact that you were in love with Audrey. If it even was love that I saw. Anyway, that's what she told me. She did it to be with you. But she knows nothing about you knowing about the spell. Which, now that I think about it, how did you know?"

"Her spell washed away in the Enchanted Lake. I didn't say anything about it washing away because, well, I love her too."

That shocked me a bit, "Glad I didn't give her my potion then."

"What do you mean?"

"I have love potions, not spells. And how my potion works are that you have to lock eyes with the one you used the potion on and they will fall in love with you. But, unless they're already in love with someone, the potion won't work. And I'm also glad that I didn't give her the potion because the song that usually comes with is way worse than whatever you sang."

"Too much?"

"Yes."

Ben nodded, "Well, thank you so much. And, uh, enjoy your fox."

Ben got up and made his way out, "I plan to. Good luck with Mal, Dearie."

Ben just thanked me and left. Now I have some company and some practice on this whole deal-making thing without my father's help. This will be a fun time.