Chapter Six: An Unexpected Guest

Knock, knock.

No, there it was again.

I took a few creeping steps forward to the door, and gently opened it - only just a crack, to be greeted by giant white moose of all things. His large velvet antlers bent low, angling to knock on the door once more - his giant frame standing enormous in front of me. Upon noticing the door opening, the huge creature took a slow step back, lowering his head in a stiff but impressive bow - low to the forest floor.

"Dear Prince Lumo - pardon my interruption but I couldn't help my excitement to see your cabin sport life yet again," the great beast spoke in a low huffing voice, still in a deep bow, "It has been many moons since you last graced our forest... I wish you would have told us earlier. I would have better prepared for your visit."

The great white moose then slowly rose - before freezing upon meeting my eyes.

"You are not Prince Lumo..." he huffed, eyes growing wild, "You are an imposter. How dare you wear his clothes -"

As he began to lower his head, ready for charge, I slammed the door closed. There was a rumble in the tiny cabin as the giant moose made impact - but the golden seal at the door held strong.

"You are a fake, a fraud. I will not allow a trickster in my woods," the moose bellowed before another heavy hit landed against the door, sending a cascade of books to fall from the high shelf.

I held my back against the door - completely terrified. Of course, I had opened the door to a mighty forest champion. I had read many stories of such great beasts - protecting their domains with utmost pride - pity on all those who crossed their path with any malintent. They were to be respected - and followed a chivalrous and moral code more than any other wild beast. I searched through my memories - every story I had ever read, searching for any sort of reference I could use.

"Please, please stop," I begged through gritted teeth - bracing for the next impact, "I am but a - I am but a guest here."

A guest. It was worth a shot. I was not a mere intruder - but an invited guest.

There was a sudden pause outside the cabin door, and I tensed in anticipation. Had it worked?

"A guest?" the great moose huffed behind the door, "Prince Lumo has never once had a guest."

"Yes," I shouted, "I am but a guest - and I doubt Prince Lumo would be happy to hear that I have received such an undignified display of hospitality. You had not even introduced yourself before charging at this door."

There was another frustrated huff outside.

"I would expect a mighty forest champion such as yourself to have a bit more tact - although I do say such a demonstration of your force and strength was indeed impressive. If I may open the door again, perhaps we can try a more traditional introduction more becoming of a fearsome creature such as yourself?" I said, wincing with anticipation.

I held my ear to the door - listening carefully with fingers crossed.

"Hm..." the beast huffed, "Perhaps I was too hasty in my judgment. However - It was not I who invited you."

"Do you not trust dear Prince Lumo's intentions?" I spoke.

There was a pause, and I felt sweat begin to bead at my brow.

"Open the door so that I might see your face. It is undignified to be shouting through doors, especially at this hour," he finally said.

"Only if you promise to treat me with the same decorum that I have shown you."