Chapter Fourteen: Of Mages and Memories

"Get off the table, Samel - I won't say it again!" I bellowed, voice playful and gravelly. I raised my hands in monster-claws and Samel gave a high-pitched squeal.

The toddler jumped off the kitchen table, and I caught him with ease with an outstretched arm, tan and work-hardened, swooping him upwards and away from the wooden floor. The air was warm, full of scents of toasting bread and fresh cut fruit. I held Samel in my arms as I walked behind Brynn as she put away a new batch of jarred berries, freshly picked and stewed from this morning's harvest. I tucked a long strand of gold curls behind her ear with a free hand before placing it on the small of her back. She smiled at me as we both turned and looked out the window to see the sanded alcove, gentle waves of black lapping up the white coast. Little Phoebe is playing in the sand, next to the crooked dock I've been meaning to fix, making little castles and promptly stomping them under her tiny feet.

Brynn and I laughed at the sight, and Samel started to giggle too, not wanting to miss out in the fun. He then kicked at me, impatient from being held for so long, and I let him down to go run outside to join his sister.

Brynn took my calloused hand in hers and we watched them play together, using sticks as swords as they jumped between the white dunes, laughing.

This was joy.

This was peace.

This was-

Suddenly there was a sound, coming from the back of the hallway.

I turned to Brynn, "Do you hear that?"

She shakes her head no and shrugs.

"Stay here."

I crossed through the small kitchen, watching my feet as I stepped over far too many toys - carved dragons, tied-rope dolls, eventually stubbing my toe on yet another fake wooden lance. I let out a curse and Brynn shot me a look from across the kitchen that could kill.

The gentle melody from the other side of the house got louder, but to my confusion, the hall seemed much longer than I remembered. Slightly disoriented, I took longer and longer strides, trying to reach the strange song, until I was in a full-sprint. But the hallway continued to stretch - longer and longer, wooden planks creaking as they stretched beneath my feet. The last door was just beneath my fingertips, haunting sound, like chiming words, just out of my grasp.

So close.

Almost there.

Almost-

With a harrowing inhale, I took a shattering, shaking breath, surprised to see Ciro's face doing the same before me. His glassy eyes were wide, but to my relief, blinking just before my face.

"You - you -" he struggled between gasps of air, "You brought me back, Mira."

I gave a quick nod and braced myself, wiping cold sweat from my brow.

Would he too be upset at me, as Gaelenod was? From what I saw, he was at peace - and I ripped that away from him.

But, to my relief, Ciro started to laugh. A big bolstering chuckle echoed between the rocks, and I gave him a smile in return, shaking my head in the madness.

Lumo knelt beside us, a hand on each of our shoulders.

"Glad to have you both back," he smiled.

It was then that it hit me.

Samel.

Phoebe.

Ciro had children.