Chapter Twenty-One: Of Herculea

"It's not coming off!"

"Pull harder!"

I awoke with a start as someone was tugging painfully at my arm. Beside me, a man in white linen cloak and golden veil was pulling on the armor plate that covered my right arm, almost yanking me off the bed where I lay. Beside him was another veiled man, arms crossed, barking orders.

"Get off of me!" I shouted, pulling away and backing as far away as I could manage. I jumped back behind the bed, using it as barrier between me and the two guards. The linen flowing robes and golden veils told me that they were more than likely sent by Herculea - fetching me for my inevitable judgment.

"I don't think it'll come off - it's pretty heavily magicked. I haven't seen anything like it before," said the first guard, wringing his hands.

"Aye, you're probably right. She'll have to come as is," answered the other man, before turning his attention to me, "Have a nice rest, little lady? Come now - Herculea sent for you herself. Time to go."

I shook my head, unmoving from my place.

"I... I refuse. I-" I stammered.

One of the guards rounded the bed, grabbing my arm firmly and pulled me towards the door with a yank. I stumbled to the side, falling hard to my knees, and a loud crackling noise ricocheted throughout the room as the armor hit the stone floor.

"Come now, we don't have all day - I don't want to have to use magic with ya," he grumbled, pulling me from the ground.

"Careful, Fremont, I think this one's a Blood Mage," called the other guard from across the room.

The guard who had my arm suddenly let go, raising his hands and backing away.

"Aye, perhaps we will have to use magic then," he said.

"I'll take her," came a voice from the doorway.

I looked up to see Lumo there, adorned in golden half-armor over white cotton ropes. There was a modest, wood-woven crown upon his head, just above his golden mask. I couldn't help but hold my breath - I almost didn't recognize him. I had grown accustomed to his familiar, humble black cloak. But there in the doorway he stood, in garb fitting a prince.

"Prince Lumo," both guards said in surprise, before greeting him with a deep bow.

"You are both excused. I will escort her to Herculea myself," said Lumo, voice low and serious.

Both guards bowed again before quickly leaving the room. I then watched as Lumo swiftly closed the door behind him, leaning back with a heavy sigh.

"Wow - Look at you-" I stammered.

"Shush, I cannot bear teasing right now. Please," he shook his head, staring at the ceiling.

"I'm not teasing - you just look so different," I said, stepping around the bed to face him.

"It's a bit much, no?" Lumo responded, fidgeting with his shirt from under the light golden engraved chest plate. His light smile faded though as he stepped away from the door, looking at me. "I'm sure you are probably nervous right now... as am I."

I nodded, looking down.

Lumo stepped forward once more, placing his hands on my shoulders.

"Mira, look at me," he whispered.

I inhaled, turning to face him, trying to hide the trembling fear boiling at my core. No, I was not ready to face one of the Four Guides, a meeting that would surely end with my untimely demise.