Chapter Forty-Eight: Camp Twin Trees

It was between the cliff's pass that I was reminded of the horrors of the Barrens once more. From under the heavy blanket's protection, I watched as my horse's hooves cracked bone covered ground, each step sending a new wave of bitter reality over me.

Besides the handful of guards posted and flanking the narrow entrance, I saw no new soldier waiting for us after we snuck between their ranks, although every so often, I would see a glimmer of silver shining between rocks in the high walls beside the path. Each side of the cliff's face seemed ready to swallow us whole, forever to rest with those at our feet, as the shadowed edges reached into the starred sky. With every hoof slip of my clumsy, sleepy steed, I half expected an arrow to pierce my heart, straight through heavy cloth and armor. The walls seemed to stretch forever but, although it came slowly, our party of three was able to make it through a majority of the narrow pass unharmed.

Yet, just as we approached the opening into the southern Barrens, Cylie suddenly stopped. I looked up, struggling to see in the pinhole light between blanket weaves. In front of Cylie's blanketed form and horse was the glittering silver armor of a Herculea soldier.

My breath caught in my lungs, and my head began to pound.

We were so close.

I watched Cylie, waiting for any queue. Would she run, fight?

My horse twitched beneath me, adjusting its weight, and I heard a huff of Aixel's horse close behind me. Cylie remained unmoving, and I watched the soldier remain where he stood, staring straight at her.

A further tense moment passed, and I began to feel sick. Although it was only one soldier, a simple signal could alert whatever mass hiding above and in the walls to the intruders below. I searched the soldier's uncovered face. He looked young, with long, almost white hair glowing in the moonlight as he held his bow, firm in his palm. Upon his shoulder sat two-headed hawk, heads covered in matching silver armor. I then jolted in surprise as he suddenly knelt to the ground, eyes staring directly at the horse's legs.

He then began to whisper something. Even in the silence, I could not make out his words. Although the horse's legs were not covered, the spell should have kept us completely concealed.

The horses. He was talking to the horses.

Despite my efforts, I let out a gasp, quickly covering my mouth and hoping that the soldier did not hear. Thankfully, he did not stir, and continued his quiet conversation with Cylie's horse.

The soldier then slowly stood, nodded, and stepped to the side.

I searched his face, but he remained stoic, looking past us and into the pass behind. There was hesitation in front of me, until Cylie lightly urged the horse to move forward. I followed stiffly, watching the soldier as we passed, but I could not read his face. From behind, there was a ruffle of feathers, and I watched with sickening stomach as the two-headed hawk flew over our heads and into the dark of the night.

We breached into the clearing, with the South Barren's gate now in view, but remained silent under the magicked blanket's cover. The high-fenced gate that protected the southern Barrens reached higher than the neighboring trees, piled high with the salted sea stone, and crowned with chiseled spikes, ancient and opposing.

Cylie slowed in front of me, as we approached the towering gates, and she and Aixel threw their shrouded blankets off. I followed their lead as I watched a narrow opening appear in the wall, eye level to the approaching Cylie.

"Binding Chain?" said a low voice from beyond, and Cylie lifted the chain into view. I did the same, leading my horse beside hers.

"Where's yours?" said the voice, more hostile this time, directed towards Aixel.