Chapter Twenty-Two: The Golden One

I saw nothing but white.

My body radiated, shaking with intensity caused by unknown but ancient magic. It was unlike anything I had ever experienced. I was trembling, terrified, yet I found myself filled with a sudden lightness, as if I was floating above the ground. It was then, as my eyes adjusted, that I saw her. Standing in the white empty space, so bright that details became lost, was a towering being, tall as a tree, golden and flowered, head hidden and caged behind twined metal ivy, laced and elaborate. Her golden claw-like hands were forward, palms to the sky over metal armor and shining gown.

Creator and guardian of all magic.

Divine Queen and sorceress of all of Lucerna.

Solia.

I knelt, unsure of what else I could do - standing before the gilded creator. My heart beat loud in my head, pounding beats between my racing thoughts. I was nothing, nothing to her. I felt ashamed that I had even spoken her name, asking her for judgment over something that seemed so small, insignificant even to the creator of all magics.

What was a life to Solia, herself?

I tilted my eyes upwards, still kneeling, to see both Herculea and Lumo both in the white expanse that took over where the throne room once was, standing beside the towering Solia, both also in deep bow in oppressive contrast against the nothingness behind and below.

"Dearest Queen, you have to excuse this vile intrusion of your holy time. You are summoned only by a prisoner's desperate attempt to flee from my judgment," spoke Herculea, voice shaking from either fear or frustration, I could not tell.

"STAND."

It was Solia's voice, without doubt, echoing in my head with unsettling power, shaking me upwards to my feet. I watched as Lumo and Herculea also stood. She had spoken directly into our thoughts.

"Dearest Queen," Herculea continued, "By the decree of the Realm, by signed truce between the Four Guides, she is deemed fugitive. And during her time fleeing from righteous judgment, she has used your holy powers to take the life and magic from one of my chosen disciples."

I wanted to scream. That was not what all of this was about. No, just moments ago, she was decrying my existence as Blood Mage. The dragonrider was only a passing mention. Herculea did not care about the dragonrider - no. She had sent the young beastrider directly after us in Yormen forest.

"WHAT BUSINESS DOES LUMO HAVE IN SUCH MATTERS?" Solia's voice boomed, rattling again in my head.

"Prince Lumo played a part, guiding her on such a path, manipulating her in a brief moment of rebellion against his own duty and fate woven path. I know for certain that he has shown her his face, probably in an effort to sway her naïve mind towards his temporary cause. I will deal with him," said Herculea.

"IS THAT TRUE, MIRA? HAVE YOU LOOKED UPON PRINCE LUMO'S FACE?"

"Yes," I said, voice small, "But there was no such manipulation that took place. My actions were of my own accord. I had taken his mask off in a moment of weakness, only finding out what lay beneath after the deed was done. Herculea's judgment upon me was due to me being chosen as your Di-"

"Are you honestly saying that seeing his face - a face created by your own absolute desire of what you wanted to see, played no such role in you following his cause?" Herculea scoffed.

I felt my hands tighten into fists at my sides.

"If his face is really that important in these matters, then please take my eyes as consolation for your worries, dear Herculea," I said, jaw tight.