Chapter Two

Two days, it has been two days, and the storm was still shaking the bunker.

I peaked out the window curtains, seeing the ashy wind kicking up dust and causing trees to tremble. Placing my palm on the cold glass, I could feel the window tremble from the force of the wind. I didn't need to hear to know it was billowing a mess.

But It wasn't as dark as before. I could see the end of the yard, and make out the trucks and lifters.

It was passing.

Lassie has had to pee in the kitchen, it was a task in itself to clean up after her, and I sent a silent apology to the owners of this place.

Lassie was well trained, she knew where she could and could not pottie- but she couldn't go outside, I would only hope the people would be understanding that a dog couldn't stave off their bladder or feces for more than a day.

Something shook the bunker once more, harder.

Lassie jolted, but remained laying on the couch beside me.

Thunder- I guessed.

I turned and slid down the wall beside the doorway- digging through my pack, and pulling out an old, tethered book. dust, grime and blood smeared on the sides and cover.

But you could still see the woman on the cover, wearing a long billowing red satin dress, with frills. Blonde long hair, and fair skin.

You couldn't see the woman's face, as the photo was cut off.

The elegant writing read, Redeeming Love By a francine rivera.

It was my favorite book, I loved it.

The book was a retelling of a gospel story from the bible.

during a time long before ours, around the Golden Rush I believed.

I often wondered about the Golden rush- it was a time where Gold was found, and mined making many people rich. I wondered what it was like?

Were fields covered in it? Were rivers flowing with gold?

I tried to keep the book in good shape- but in a world like this....

I've reread it five times.

I've got nothing better to do, so I flipped the front cover, and began the story.

************************

Something wet poked my cheek, and I waved it away.

My eyelids refused to lift, sleep was a dream in which I never wanted to awaken. I would take my dreams of princesses, cowboys, and dragons than this cruel one I was born in.

Another insistent nudge startled me awake and I gasped. Lassie stared back at me, her head tilting. Her eyes lifted towards the door, her chest trembling.

She was growling- did the poachers find us?

I stumbled to my feet knocking the book down. I peeked through the curtains finding the courtyard barren and clear. The storm had passed.

I glanced back down- seeing Lassie's lips twitch into a snarl.

What was she concerned about?

I felt the glass, and although the storm had passed the glass window was still trembling.

My eyes darted up- catching a glimmer of light falling from the sky.

The ship.

I stumbled to stuff everything back in my pack, but a force shook the ground as I threw it over my back. I stumbled to the ground, hitting the stand by the couch. I winced and caught myself.