Chapter Eight

Lottie

The truck came to a stop right on the other side of the dividers. Both Emilia and Christoph pushed open the doors. Aspen and Calipsian swung themselves over the edge of the trunk. I stood up at the same time that Lassie hopped down from the truck. 

I walked down before I saw Christoph at the truck's end waiting for me. I felt my lips thin- I never even considered what he could have lost. I called him a jerk without knowing their circumstances. I forced him to agree to take me to baracov, What if he was looking for a second chance like everyone else? Someone waved a hand, nodding for me to get down. Kal glanced at Christoph who stood with his hands out. 

"Are your cramps bothering you again?" Christoph spoke evenly- his eyes straying to my abdomen. I shook my head and quickly sat down before scooting to jump off. Christoph stared at me- his hands still out waiting for nothing. 

"My hands were here to assist you" Christoph said with a narrowed look in his eyes. 

"I can do it myself" I shook my head and pulled my pack the rest of the way. Christoph leaned close- invading my personal space. I instinctively leaned against the truck's ramp. 

After a moment of silence, he raised his hand. 

Alice mentioned the cycle brought agitation- has it begun?

I felt my mouth drop at his well but sloppy sign language. 

I turned to the others who looked away as if they hadn't seen what I saw. 

He knew bigger words than the rest of them too. 

how? He rarely paid attention!

My eyes widened, did he read our conversation? 

I shook my head. 

No... I just don't want to depend on you all the time

I signed back before going around him. His grip on my elbow surprised me. 

His obsidian eyes were watching intently beneath his scowling eyebrows. 

"Your reasoning makes no sense" He argued, causing me to frown. 

We should keep going

I motioned towards the city. 

Do you really wanna have this talk now? 

I cocked my head. 

He turned over his shoulder, I watched the way his jaw snapped but couldn't read his lips. 

I felt my mouth drop when the rest of them started heading off in opposite directions- checking for skrills no doubt. Emilia glanced around warily, but when Aspen and Calispian nodded for her to follow them I turned to Christoph who had his arms crossed over his chest expectantly with his black eyes narrowed at me. 

For the duration of this trip I am obligated to keep you safe and healthy- those were the conditions Alice Barbados demanded when they assigned me and my two regimes to you

He signed with accuracy, but in a slow manner. He spelt most of his words- but knew some others. 

I felt myself wince- so he was forced to come with me too. 

Look, When we return to your planet I won't have anyone to be dependent on- I need to be able to fend for myself by then-

A scowl darkened his features but he didn't say anything.