Chapter Seven

Lottie

Christoph had a constant scowl on his face as we continued through town- before passing a police station. An alarming amount of clicking resonated from inside that I tensed, subconsciously grabbing Lassie who tensed beside me as well. 

Christoph eyed it with a quiet glance before turning forward again. The rest didn't seem as bothered. We continued down the road until we came to a railroad that was across the road in a single line. 

Lassie looked up at me, her mouth wide in a dog smile- tongue hanging out of the corner of her mouth. 

They don't talk much do they?

I signed with a mild smile, her big brown eyes blinked up at me, a silent beg in her eyes. I looked around- satisfied that we were far enough from town now.

Free

I signed, and Lassie bolted for the shrubs- startling Christoph and his warriors. 

She spiraled around in sprints, kicking up small pebbles and dirt as we crossed the railroad tracks. 

I could see the top of the city now- not that far from us now.

I touched my aching abdomen- grimacing as another wave of cramps continued to attack my uterus. God damn

I stiffened at the feel of vibrations across the air and looked around, seeing Urr wave a hand. 

"Could you teach us a few more signs?" He asked, and I pondered it. Were they actually interested? Besides my father, most weren't interested in learning. 

I smiled, before nodding.  

We continued the rest of the way through the dirty abandoned road ahead of us. I signed a few simple words- easy for them to understand and remember. 

I started the alphabet- slowly so they could copy the hand forms before speeding it up, and telling them to spell out words like help, yes, no,  and please. 

Bor caught on a lot quicker- despite him and Onyx not participating as much as Urr and Horus. 

"You two aren't even paying attention- how are you learning it that quickly!" Kal demanded angrily- sending them suspicious glares.

Laughter boomed from Bor's chest- making my ears ring. 

He flashed a rare smile, his eyes crinkling. 

"Upset someone else has bested you in something- little Kal?" He commented, flashing his sharp teeth at the smaller hunter who fumed. 

"They are small words and letters, only 26 characters- it isn't that hard" Onyx supplied in agreement- continuing forward with a blank look on his face. If I hadn't seen his lips move- I would have never known he had said anything at all. 

I blew out a breath at their arguing- while Christoph continued to eyeball the city we were heading for. 

I put my fingers to my lips, and blew out a whistle- waiting for Lassie to return. 

The shrubs to my left shook before her familiar face poked out of the leaves. 

She bounded towards me- but I stopped dead in my tracks at what was marked on her side. She looked completely normal- a big wide toothy smile on her face. 

I reached for Christoph who paused when my fingers wrapped around his forearm. I pointed at the spray paint that marked Lassie's side. I called for her and she approached before I knelt down and touched her fur. It would take days to wash that out. I turned to look up at Christoph- finding him looking around. "Someone is close" He snapped, straightening and touching his brandished knife on his belt. "What is this on her fur?" Bor growled eyeing the red color that marred her beautiful brown fur.