VIII

It's been almost 2 weeks since the game started, 23 dead so far and 30 more to go. I'm aware that when the time comes, we will have to turn against Daria and Billy. I just don't really want to accept it, but neither I can deny it. If I get out of here alive, I don't even know if it will be life anymore. All the families of those who died will hate me forever and I can't even blame them.

"Do you guys like suns-" Daria was going to ask but a bullet flied right pass Thomas. Oh shit. "Guys come on!" I said spotting 3 other people from far away, pointing and shooting up bullets at us. I pulled my MK seven assault rifle out, just in case. I started running away when I forgot Daria and Billy can't run as fast as I can, but still, I turned around and she was there. I was looking at her shocked when I heard a scream.

Peet had been shot.

I gasped noticing the silhouette from far away pulling out a sniper and pointing at Peet. Oh no.

"Aspen you need to shoot him." Peet said. I looked around to find any of my teammates but they were already gone, I couldn't think, there was no time, and I was to weak to move him. My hands are now shaking. "I can't shoot him, I just can't." "Aspen yes you can. Remember when you were standing at that door with the striker pump? Thomas told me you couldn't do it, thats why he shot him, but I knew you could, and that you can, now." Peet said struggling to breath.

"You can do it." I told myself. I did. I shot it.
twice. Both of his teammates crouched down to save him. It gave me time enough to grab Peet and take him to our team.

"Guys I need help." I said. "We don't have anything!" Billy said. "Neither do I." Thomas added. Peet was slowly dying, every second it passed he seemed worse and I didn't know what do. I was so desperate that I just started touching his face to see if it would magically heal him somehow. I go look for water and then is when I noticed the green bar on his vest, but now, its no longer green, it's red and its decreasing, fast. "What the hell does that mean?" I asked taking my hands off his forehead. "No, Aspen, keep doing that." Peet asked me, so I did, I put my hands back on his forehead. Once I did, the red bar stopped decreasing and just stood there.

All of the sudden, it was back to green, but at thirty. His blue bar was back to zero.
"Thanks." He said struggling to get up. I told him to stay there and get some rest, I also asked the others to get some food to increase Peet's health. Meanwhile, I just sat there by his side, he was looking at the ceiling, all sweaty and pale. When I look down to see his wound again, I noticed it wasn't just one. He had been shot 6 times. I opened my mouth in surprise, not enough for him to notice. What does it even take to kill a person? I asked myself. That's when I remembered that my vest never vibrated, the person I shot never died, part of me was scared but the other one was relieved that I didn't kill anybody, I never intended too, I just couldn't let Peet die.

I'd say the typical. "Its crazy what you'd lo do for a friend." But in this case, its not just for a friend, its for me, too. If one of my teammates dies, means that I no longer have a chance of getting out of here alive. Maybe I also want to finish this as a group, because at the end of it all, we'll only have each other, everybody else including our families will hate us.

"What you said before, was it true?" I asked Peet. Its not like I wanted it to be true, I didn't want to believe that Thomas shot his best friend because I couldn't do it, even if he would have hate me, I would have avoided him the guilt.
"What did I say?" He replied me with a question, still looking up at the ceiling.
"Never mind." I said when Thomas, Daria and Billy came back with leafs full of water. "Thanks." I said grabbing two of them and handing one to Peet.

"Daria, how did you catch up to me?" I asked. The question came on my mind just like that. "What do you mean?" She answered with a question, again. "When I ran, I forgot you couldn't do it as fast as us but when I looked back, you were there." I explained. "Oh, right. I might have forgotten to mention that our special skill is also enabled." She answered. What? Its impossible for someone to forget mentioning something so important, and now that I think about it, I had asked her, she said they hadn't gave them one yet. They lied.

Why would they lie? I lot of reasons came up to my mind, but only one made sense. They are playing smarter. Not telling us the their special skill means they realized that its soon to be the time when we have to fight each other.
They already knew they were outnumbered, even if it is for one person.