Chapter 52

Reine Parker

My body felt as though it just got ran over by a truck. After a few attempts, I finally managed to pull open my eyes which felt so heavy. I winced at the bright light shone just right above me. 

"Can you see us?"

"Can you hear me?"

The five of them came into sight, as I tried to prop myself up on the bed. Elijah helped me up as he adjusted the IV drip on the back of my hand. They looked at me with such intensity, as though I was some fragile glassware that could break any moment. 

I breathed out, "I'm fine, so stop breathing down my neck every few seconds." I glared at each and every one of them. 

"Do you need Dr Martins? I can get-" Roman asked, as I shook my head, cutting him off mid way. 

"I plan to look for Dr Rosaline. I haven't got the chance to visit her ever since I reached here." She was one of the people here whom I looked forward to meeting. She had helped me so much in the past and treated me like her family. I ought to pay her visit now that I'm back here again. 

Roman nodded in understanding, not commenting on the topic further. I looked around the room, and realised that Ari was not around. 

"Ari is not home yet right?" I probed, since this was probably the only chance to tell them what I had just discovered. Mateo shook his head to confirm my question. 

"Great, I have something important to inform all of you. But first, we have to make sure that there are no one else besides us who will be listening to this conversation." I gathered myself in all serious tone, and they all straightened their postures at the sound of seriousness. 

After checking that our surroundings had no other people, they all sat down around the bed as I started telling them about the note, the mysterious person whom I met at the park, the confirmation of handwritings, and last but not least the news of Caroline Monet being alive.

All four of them had a look of surprise mixed with anger on their faces. Except for Roman, who looked slightly confused. 

"She was their mother." I said, instantly clearing the look of confusion on Roman's face. The four of them looked at me with sadness and guilt swirling within their eyes. They can look at me as much as they want, what I said was nothing but the truth. She was never my mother ever since the day she killed my dad in front of us. 

"But why would she threaten to kill both of you? It...it just doesn't sum up." Lorenzo muttered in confusion. I chuckled dryly and replied, "I don't have the answer to that, you might have to ask your mother dearest. Or perhaps, you don't think that I was making this up, do you?"

His eyes widened slightly as he quickly retorted, "No, no, that's not what I meant. I was just curious as to what her intentions are and what she could possibly gain by threatening your lives. That's all." He seemed worked up just by a mere question of mine. I ignored his words as Alexander interrupted, "Can we take a look at the note that you picked up?" 

Thankfully, I had made a copy of the note and edited out the part which says I'm the key to the ending of the game. I had a rough idea of what she was coming after. She wants to kill me. As for the reason, it was probably due to that night. But I have yet to figure out the actual reason, so they don't have to know for the time being. 

I took out the edited copy and passed it to them, to which they gathered around and scrutinised it properly. Just as they were about to ask something else, the door opened, revealing the rest of the Romano.

Mason was the first to rush up the bed, checking on me from head to toe, scanning for any visible injuries until he saw the bandages around my arm and leg. Before he could shoot off any questions, I assured, "I'm okay, really. These are just minor injuries." 

He looked at me for a brief moment, then turned his head to look at Roman, and they both exchanged a brief nod. Was I missing out on something? Since when were they so friendly towards each other? 

Ezra wanted to move forward, but hesitated after catching my glance towards him. The rest of them stood near the door, as they looked at me in worried looks. I was debating with myself, if I could trust them and inform them about Caroline Monet. 

Seeing how Alexander had yet to inform them about the news, it was up to me whether to let them in or to exclude them. To play safe, I had to test the waters before knowing if I could trust them with the secret. 

"I went into their room, and it had unexpectedly triggered memories from that night. That was how it triggered the attack." I scanned through the room for all of their reactions, which mostly caught them off guard, hearing that I would tell them about what happened. 

"And I happened to come across something that was locked in the drawers." I added, waiting for their reaction to it. As I continued to lure them in, none of them were showing any abnormal expressions like being too nonchalant about it. I continued forming my words, and observed every movements of theirs. 

"I just have a question in my head, do you think it's possible for her to still be alive?" I asked, faking ignorance as the five of them who knew the truth put on a blank face. 

"It is possible." Ezra spoke up. "We were only informed that her body was burnt to a crisp in the explosion, and the results matched her DNA. But a body can be forged, much less a result." He added, as the rest nodded in agreement. 

"Then do you think she will come back here?" I asked again, but this time their faces were filled with puzzlement and confusion. 

"And why would she be back for? To get killed?" Axel scoffed, thinking as though it was not possible. 

"Felix Parker did mention before that she worked with him to get rid of father, she definitely knew something and wanted to kill father." Elijah recalled. 

Clenching my fist into a ball, I added, "She married dad in order to take her revenge, that's what she said that night." Their heads all snapped up at my words, since none of them had heard of this before, not even Mason.

updated! unsatisfying ending to this chapter because I've got to save some content for the next chapter HEHEH

wanna cry because I have an 8am class tmr morning and there's a presentation NWJSNwjknsJ *sobs*

Happy reading! -3/11/2022