sunday dinner.

It was quiet around the dinner table. Olivias mom had made them "dinner", which was canned soup heated up. It was the most effort her mom had put into anything in weeks. Both her parents were drinking beer but it was only the beginning. Olivia was playing with her spoon, making circles in the soup. She didn't feel hungry.

"Where the fuck were you all day?" Her father asked.

"Just out. With my friends." She replied without looking up from her plate. Suddenly her father slammed his fists against the table, making the plates move. The movement made both Olivia and her mom jump.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you!" He yelled and slowly she looked up at him with empty eyes. She pushed her chair out and got up, took her plate and put it in the sink.  

"Where do you think you're going? I'm fucking talking to you!" Her father followed after her but she didn't answer him.

"You think you can do whatever the fuck you want in this house, huh?" He wanted to fight and he was pushing her buttons and it was working.

"Nobody else does shit in this house anymore but me!" Olivia yelled back, turning to face him. Before she had the chance to say anything more, she felt his palm against her cheek.

"George!" Her mother yelled out with a gasp. Olivias skin stung as she looked back up at her father. He looked surprised, like it hadn't been him who had just struck her. She didn't feel like she needed to say anything and turned around. She went towards her room and quickly locked the door behind her. The tears started falling and she thought back.

It wasn't the first time it had happened. It had happened once, a few years ago. Afterwards he promised it would never happen again. Olivia paced around her room, sobbing uncontrollably while she could hear her parents screaming in the kitchen.

She went over to her window and opened it. She climbed out and jumped out in the backyard. She couldn't stop crying but her feet carried her forward, to Fourthgrade. When she got to his house, she went around the back to get to his window. He was sitting in his bed while a Black Sabbath record was playing in the background. She wiped away some tears and then knocked on his window. He was startled but when he saw it was her, he smiled.

"Damn Liv, you scared the shit out of me!" He said with a chuckle as he opened his window. His smile dropped quickly when he saw her up close.

"What happened?" Fourthgrade helped her climb through the window and quickly her arms wrapped around him. She buried his face in his chest and didn't try to keep back the tears. He held her close and kept quiet. All she needed was to be comforted by him. Eventually her sobbing slowed down and he opened his mouth to speak. 

"Come here..." He put space between them for a second but then grabbed her hand, pulling her to sit down on his bed.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" She stared into thin air and kept her hand in his. 

"I don't know... I just..." All the crying made her head ache and it was hard forming proper thoughts. 

"It happened again..." She whispered low.

"What happened again?" He asked but slowly he understood.

"He hit you?" Olivia didn't reply, she didn't need to. His mind started racing and he felt angry. There wasn't many things that could make Fourthgrade angry but seeing her hurting? That was one of them.

 There wasn't many things that could make Fourthgrade angry but seeing her hurting? That was one of them

"I'm so sorry Liv..." Again he pulled her close. He remembered the first time it had happened but back then she hadn't told him right away. Fourthgrade just saw that she was sad and pushed her to talk to him about what was going on. It was horrible when the words came from her. He blamed himself for not being there, for not protecting her. He felt so powerless.

Olivia didn't want to take about it more for the night so he got a t-shirt for her to sleep in. He wasn't going to ask, she was staying there tonight. He wouldn't let her go back home. 

"Get changed and I'll go make us some tea okay?" She nodded and he let go of her hand to go out in the kitchen. He closed his door after him and went out towards the kitchen. When he got there, his mother was sitting there, smoking a cigarette under the fan.

"You got Olivia in there?" She asked, tapping her cigarette.

"Yeah." 

"I thought I heard you two." He didn't answer and went to pour water into two mugs and put them in the microwave. They didn't have much in the pantry but he knew they had a few tea bags in the back. Neither of them really liked tea much but he wanted to do something for her.

"How is she?" His mother asked and looked at him. Fourthgrade didn't look much like his mother. She was short and curvy and he was tall and skinny. From the pictures he had seen though, he was a copy of his dad.

"She's good. We're gonna watch a movie." The microwaved dinged and he turned to it. He took the mugs out and put in the tea bags.

"I'm going out. Don't wait up." She put her cigarette out and leaned back against the kitchen island. Fourthgrade knew that she wouldn't come back until tomorrow at the earliest. His mother acted like it wasn't a big deal that she disappeared like that. In her eyes, he was a big boy who could take care of himself. He nodded before he turned around to go back to Olivia.

"Here you go." He said placing the two mugs down on his nightstand. She had changed into his shirt and was sitting cuddled up underneath the covers. 

"Thank you." 

Fourthgrade sat down on the bed next to her, not knowing what to say next. Olivia took a mug and had it in her lap. The tea spread a comforting warmth to her hands. She felt much better now that she had calmed down. 

"You feel any better?" He asked, staring down at his hands.

"I do... Thanks to you." She didn't know what she would do without him in her life. He was the only person she could count on. She reached out and placed her hand on top of his.

"I'm just glad you're feeling better."