Chapter seven

PAST

Molly sobbed😭 into Kevin's chest as they watched Huggins dragged into the emergency 🚨 theatre. Kevin, who had stopped crying 😢 since they left home to the hospital 🏥 held the most expressionless 😑 face ever. He patted Molly's head as she cried her heart out. Time elapsed and sleep 💤 finally took over the duo.

Molly jerked up suddenly about 6 am in the morning. "Where's dad?", she asked Kevin whose eyes were sullen 😔 due to lack of sleep. Without saying a word, he pointed the theater. The light indicating an ongoing surgery still shone brightly. Molly whispered a silent prayer 🙏🏾 and sat beside Kevin.

The lights finally went off after waiting for what felt like decades. Molly approached the doctor 🥼 as soon as he came out. "Can we see him? Is he okay?", she asked. The main doctor looked down at Molly with deep sadness and sympathy  in his eyes. He shut his eyes and took a deep breath. "You can't see him now dear.....", he sighs and signals Kevin to come closer. "Your dad.. he ....he's gone far far away and.. he's not ever going to come back. he has joined the land of the dead 💀 ⚰️now. I'm sorry kids,but your dad is no more". "Wha-what......do you mean by he not returning". Molly stuttered and staggered back as she lost balance and fell to the floor. A flash back of the previous day rushed through her mind.

FLASHBACK

".....your parents....they - attempted - leaving the country, but they didn't make it to their destination....... They didn't send gifts either on your birthday dear, ...........that was all me. The picture you have in the locket, was the only picture found in their luggages after their jet crashed. investigation proved it was no accident dear....(cough cough)....they were murdered...........If i'm not able to pull through (he takes a deep breath) Manuel will be in charge of you both". "What's happening here? this is an emergency.....we're losing him, can't you see?", a doctor from a ward shouted at the nurses and Physician assistants  next to Huggins. "Remember one thing...I love 💓 you both a lot. Kevin, make sure to take care of her", he managed a smile 🙂 as they took his stretcher away.

One month later

A policeman 👮‍♂️ entered the room, tagging behind Manuel and took a seat. "After thorough investigation,it was discovered the fire was not an accident. We assume someone did so on purpose. But it seems the person knows how to clear and fidget with forensics so there were no clues leftt behind. We'll do our best to find the culprit".

Three weeks later, Manuel  took the kids out. "Where're we going?", Molly asked. He didn't answer, but kept driving until a huge building came into view. He swiped his card and the gates opened. As we drove in, "Lovely Children's Orphanage" written boldly on the building could be clearly seen. "Are you adopting a child to join us?..." Molly asked and giggled. "Please make it a boy older then me. It'd be nice to have two older boys look out for me", Molly added, but Manuel said nothing. He took out his phone 📱 and made a call.

Manuel(Ma): I'm here with the kids. Meet me at the parking lot for the necessary paper works.
Woman(W): Okay sure. I'd be there in a minute.

Not long after, an old lady 👵 approached the car. Looking at the numerous greys she had, you could say she'd be in her late sixties if not more. "hi kids" she said to the two in the car and gave the papers to Manuel. He sighed heavily as he ended the formalities and joined the kids in the car. He turned to face the backseats as he spoke. "Kids, we have to part. I'll come back for you later. I need to leave the country for an important work. I won't take long, so until I'm back, you're going to stay here with Jeenah. (He gestured toward the old lady). She's nice and she'll cater for you till I return. Be good kids." "But we didn't bring any belongings here . How will we live here then?" Molly said. "Don't worry about that. I already packed some essentials you'll need . If you need anything more, just tell Jeenah. She'll sort it out".