Chapter nine

Past

" wake up kids, let's get here cleaned up before she arrives. She's coming with visitors and we wouldn't want the place in a mess. Make sure to be on your best behaviors, because, someone is gonna be the lucky one and finally get the chance to leave this place". One of the workers in the orphanage said and the kids freshened up and got to work. They finished by lunch time, re- showered and dressed in their finest clothes.
" we gotta be on our best behavior today, we need to get outta here" Kevin said and Molly nodded as she dressed his bleeding wound.

"It's time for lunch kids" the alarm blurred and they trooped into the dining room for food.  " wow bean cakes, tuna sauce and rice? Hmmm I'm impressed" Kevin whispered to Molly as they ate. " I miss eating such good food when Geena was here. It's so sad that all this is just for show today " she replied. " that's why we neeed to get outta here Molly"
In the heat of the scorching sun, children of various ages, clad in wonderful clothes sat under canopies awaiting a visitor ( Miss Meena). " I hope I get picked today " a boy said and slumped into a chair behind Kevin. Molly and Kevin sat side by side with fingers crossed, hoping to get picked together. All the children turned as they heard screeching tyres gliding towards them.

A young lady in her early thirties, got down from a bright wine CRV and walked flawlessly towards them.
" Hi kids" she said and smiled immensely at them, " l have some people who want to meet you and as usual, someone gets to leave these walls. Mr. Kris, please come here". A man in his 20's got down with a woman. " hi kids" he said.   " Make your choice Kris". He took a glance at the kids and walked straight to Molly and Kevin. " I pick him" he said pointing a finger at Kevin. " excuse me sir, umm are you taking her as well?" He said and pointed toward Molly. " you only dear, we're not allowed to pick two" the man responded. " umm sir, why don't you pick her instead? I'd be really glad" Kevin said, putting on a charming smile to persuade Kris. " No dear it's you we want to pick.....and.......that's final" . All the kids dispersed, leaving Molly, Kevin, Kris and his wife, as well as Meena. " Then it's settled Kevin, Amra will pack your things. We'll leave you to say goodbye to your friend".

They stood there, staring at each other with so much emotion bubbling up within them. Molly runs and wraps her arms around Kevin and he hugs her back. And for the firsttime in a long time... Kevin began to shed tears along with Molly. The duo remained locked up in their embrace as they cried their hearts out. " Kevin! It's time to go, you can't keep them waiting!" Meena shouts to them from a distance. They pulled from the hug and Kevin nodded. " I'll be back for you Mol... just give me a little time next year... I'll be back with them to get you outta here. Everything will be okay, you're stronger than this" Kevin said to Molly as tears flowed uncontrollably down his cheeks

Present

Mchenzie and Molly look at each other from time to time between their morsels as they eat. A hand touches Molly's shoulder and she chokes. "Sorry dear, you must be Molly", Mr. Mchenzie says and takes a seat next to hers. Molly smiles and nods in affirmation. " so you're the girl making my son go nuts right,( he smirks) You should have seen him mentioning your name this morning like he was gonna die without you", Molly's cheeks become bright pink😳 as she locks eyes with Mchenzie. "Dad, you're over exaggerating". His dad smiles and focuses on his food. Mchenzie picks up his phone📱 and leaves the table
# meet me in my room right now! you have a lot of explanation to do#
Molly reads the text from Mchenzie and she excuses herself.

" Why did you have to call me now, didn't you know I was eating? You know how much I hate being separated from my meals especially when it's my favourite Bambara bean stew with pasta🍝 and minced beef" she rattles as she enters Mchenzie's room. He stands and stares at her until she's uneasy. "Okay fine let's talk, all jokes aside, what happened to you?". " what happened to me??(smirks) You are the reason I'm in this condition". "Wait, what? Me?(laughs😂and puts on a serious face🙄) seriously? So if you not gonna tell me why'd you call me here". "Like I said you have a lot of explaining to do and I'm not joking when I say you caused what happened to me". Molly looks at him with a very confused look🤨and her brows crease. " Well you would wanna sit for this" he says and sits. She sits as well. "Firstly, I want to warn you about flirting with that soon to be divorced Pedro.
Secondly, I want you to know that I saw you both on all your encounters over the past few days ( he looks away) , how he hugged you, held you and how you were laughing at his boring jokes( he frowns😒).
But that's not the main point. Yesterday, I met you and Pedro while jogging. And ......you walked right past me without even noticing me, because of that boring piece of sh*t".