𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝟏

As you've already read, I like to live through others vicariously

While such a lifestyle was not recommended for most people who wanted to maintain a clear mental state, I didn't particularly mind not being able to experience things firsthand. Seeing other people doing things was more entertaining to me than actually having to go through the effort of doing them myself. It was certainly not worth making friends for just that reason.

I always had a particular interest in one of the popular boys in my year, Kamishiro Rui. He had an almost flippant demeanor surrounded by a mysterious air, making him near-impossible to approach and grow close to. Apparently he was also part of a theater-group show thing, but that wasn't really that relevant.

Due to the strings of fate, we somehow managed to always be in the same classes. I had never sat next to him during assigned seating charts, nor had he ever noticed my existence beyond the point of a stray glance. But as stated before, I didn't mind not being able to talk to him. He was a fascinating specimen to watch, to stare at, to admire.

Someone who could live their life to the fullest was born that way. People like me were born to end up where I'm at. That's kinda just how things ended up being.

So yeah, when the seating chart in AP biology had us sitting next to each other, I was shocked. Fast forward to the current moment, where I am now sitting next to Kamishiro Rui. The teacher was babbling about the syllabus, but I could not for the life of me focus on what he was saying.

No shot that I'm actually sitting next to Rui.

I glanced over to him for a second, just to check to make sure that it wasn't some doppelganger. But nope, he was watching the teacher with the same absent-mindedness as he always had, leaning one of his slender hands on his cheek and twirling his pencil around in the other.

His eyes flickered toward me and his lips curved into a small smile as if to greet me.

I immediately turned away out of embarrassment for being such a dunce.

When the teacher finally shut up and gave us time to get to know our seat partner, he turned to me with a loose smile. "It's nice to meet you. My name is Kamishiro Rui. Although I suppose it's strange to say greetings to each other since we've been in the same class for several years now."

"A-ah, yeah," I laughed nervously, completely drawing a blank on how humans normally interact. What should I say? "Well, uhm, it's the first time we've ever sat together, so I honestly thought that you wouldn't know who I was, haha. My name is (F/n) (L/n), it's nice to meet you."

I extended a hand towards him.

He took my hand and shook it gently, the coolness of his palm spreading through my body. It was sort of like meeting a celebrity you watch on TV-it was a surreal experience. I drew my hand back first, unable to piece together the fact that Rui Kamishiro was looking at me with such a genuine expression.

Ah, I should probably explain something first. In our class, Rui was considered popular, but it was mostly just due to how eccentric he was. A good amount of people thought he was a weirdo, but a lot of the girls were attracted to him because of this quality. So he's not like a stereotypical popular jock in that regard.

The beginning of the year, as expected, was reviewed. The teacher made sure to drill into our brains that we were taking an advanced class and therefore misconduct wouldn't be tolerated. Not that it made any difference to me, as I wasn't much of a talker in the first place.

I sat to the left of Rui, so the ear that didn't have a piercing was facing towards me. I noticed the girl behind us was staring at him, but it's not like I'm going to blame her.

His purple hair set him out enough from all the other students besides a select few, and on top of that he had a light blue streak running through it. In fact, everything about him shouted eccentricity.

He wore the uniform light gray cardigan and a loosely-worn red-and-blue tie. The first button was undone, giving him a more casual look. His sleeves are rolled up to meet at his elbows, revealing his slender yet well-defined arms.

"Kamishiro," I said after the teacher finished speaking, "what type of things do you enjoy?"
"I enjoy performing and engineering," his lips curved into their usual flippant smile. "How about you?"

"I don't really have any particular interests," I replied. "I mainly just try to get decent grades and that's essentially it. Although I do have an interest in the performing arts-watching them, I mean. Not doing them."

"Have you ever been in a production?" Rui inquired, his eyes showing a slight glimmer of intrigue.

"No, it's not really my forte."

"I see," he nodded to himself as if this wasn't the first time he had heard someone say such a thing.

The bell rang, and class ended.

Hi guys, hope you enjoyed this chapter! definitely didn't write it right after i spent 100 pulls and didn't get rui's card in the jpsekai event! hahaha! anyways this story is going to be very fluffy, and will develop as any high school romance would, meaning that the beginning of it is going to be set in class! some of the stuff in this book is inspired by things ive experienced/things my friends have experienced. i hope to do rui justice with this book, and then hopefully when i finish this make an akito one (hes my fav<333)

much love,

wasabi