Prologue

Whoever created this dress had no idea how heavy it'd be, or they did know and chose not to care. It'd be infinitely better if it wasn't strapless. The corset is the only thing keeping this monstrosity in place on my body, and it's unbearably tight. Not to mention, ruffles seem to be stitched into every inch of the dress, creating swirls down the length of the ghastly thing like a massive carnation. Then there are the three giant bows on the front of the chest, shrinking in size toward the hips. But that's not the worst thing about it, that award goes to the train. It's longer than I am tall, and it's a full skirt. There must be wiring underneath to make the gown as drastically bell-shaped as it is--enough to wrap around the sun more than a few times. It's also solid black, darker than the night sky, a perfect reflection of how I'm feeling inside.

If my mother were here I'd let her know how insane she is for saving this gaudy dress for me to wear to these ceremonies. I'd tell her that what happened isn't as big of a deal as she makes it out to be, and then she'd fuss at me for denying how tremendously tragic this actually is. After her nagging session ends I'd try to bring up the mate contract because it's been bugging me and making restless waves in my stomach. My mom, of course, would brush it off and advise me to simply pick the next best suitor instead of comforting my muddied heart. Her thoughts never leaned toward compassion. Because of that certain characteristic, I believe she's more inhuman than she lets on.

When I stare at this dress though, I realize how much I miss her and those inhumane tendencies. They used to annoy me, but now I find myself wishing I could hear her voice again. Because of what happened, I have yet another voice to miss from my life in addition to the emptiness my mom left. This list might even jump to three if Ezra doesn't come back soon.

My ears perk at the sound of footsteps heading towards my door. I quickly slip all the way into the tremendous gown and pull the corset as tight as I can, leaving barely enough space to breathe. I'd rather have trouble sucking in air than watch the dark fabric fall off my body in a giant embarrassing heap.

The doors open without warning, and I don't think to put any shoes on.

Out in the hall, my toes freeze on the chilled stone floor. I haven't prepared anything, and I don't imagine that any amount of time would've given me the chance. Besides, everything that needs to be said has already been said to the proper ears, so there's really no point in any of this. The ceremony is just for looks, nothing more. It's a shame. It makes me feel sick.

Every head twists around in my direction after the guards open the giant doors to the grand hall. They all rise from their seats and watch me with careful eyes. I don't look at them, my gaze remains fixed on the stone dais. Columns of shiny rock, identical to the floor, surround all of us. Their architectural complexities are truly something to admire, but not today.

I feel my dress drag against the floor behind me. I'm surprised by how much I enjoy the hushed sound it makes. Up the stairs I go to the platform, kicking my skirt up and around to pool by my feet at the very top. I wet my lips and brush down my dress with timid hands.

From left to right in the first row, the seating is as follows: Steele Nuxanos, Kappie Dean, Haruka Rokisan, Ezra Dean's empty seat, Mira Zaskate, Cadin Zaskate, my mother's empty seat, and the regent's empty seat. Every other seat is filled with unfamiliar faces. Only three people are missing.

Kappie and Steele wear slim black pants with black dress shirts. Haruka wears a black long sleeve t-shirt with black jeans. He's going for the more casual look, which would irritate me on a normal day, but for some reason I feel more open to his fashion choices now. His hair is also getting a little longer than he normally keeps it. At least it's tamed today, unlike Steele's. His brown hair is spiked up in the back in all different directions while the front is the only part that looks combed. Kappie is somewhere in the middle of being neat and messy. His hair is layered with long bangs and lots of flyaways. All of their faces hold grim expressions.

Look at me, admiring them like they're my children or even my property.

I consider each one and wonder how I could possibly think of them in any other way than what they are to me: my guardians. Miyazu was different, I always considered him to be more than my protector. Even before the contract, I knew we had something special.

Now he's gone, taking my hope for change with him.

I let out a sigh before I begin a speech I haven't prepared for. My mouth opens and I freeze. The buried grief I locked in my heart now claws at the door so hard it cracks open. My jaw is still dropped when I feel a warm tear fall down my cheek. I steal a glance at Kappie for reassurance, he closes his eyes and barely nods. I fold my hands and rub them together, "...So here we are...celebrating the life of Miyazu Zaskate...who passed away at the age of 2065." My eyes meet with Haruka and I witness a flash of emotion I never thought I'd see in him again: sympathy. It strangely gives me a speck of strength, knowing someone is feeling a pain that I feel. "As my Scorpio spirit guardian, Miyazu was one of the greatest protectors I could've asked for..." I continue with the praises and glances at the Zaskate family. Everything about my speech becomes perfect and uniform, ultimately leaving an empty feeling in my heart.

There isn't a seat for me because after I speak everyone will leave, and that'll be that. The speech I give will both start and end this funeral. Miyazu's family won't even get the chance to speak their peace until after all bodies have left the grand hall. Most people will depart after this ceremony and not even stay to console the family. What is said now will be what everyone will hear and what they'll all take away from Miyazu's memorial. The words I speak aren't nearly worthy of him and the life he lived for me.

When he vanished from this world, something in me broke apart. The fracture continues to spread through my mind and body to tear me in half from the inside out. In its place is a darkness so foul it reeks of death. The worst part about his passing is the growth that my void gains. My war with the darkness continues to wage, but I've lost this battle. I advance a step closer to destruction. I can't stop it. For one more time in my life, I am terrified and I don't know what to do.

Fires are contagious, and they have a tendency to infect everything they touch. The flames licking the corners of my mind are already melting the walls. Because of my newly aquired pain, I will never be the same, and it may be for the better.