The Dead Will Rise

"I see you all still haven't achieved what most people call: common sense." The speaker steps out from hiding between the purple and grey dragons. His midnight blue hair is medium length on the top and sides, and a long braid forms at the nape of his neck, draping over his shoulder. His grey eyes match the eyes of the dragons too perfectly.

"Miyazu." Haruka spits his name out as if he'd thrown it up. Rayce glances back and forth between Miyazu and Haruka. Steele doesn't move an inch. Kappie's hand slowly brings itself to his mouth. Everyone but Rayce and I recognize him, only the name draws up the memories from earlier this week, when he was being talked about. But even those conversations, from what I can remember, were centered around Ezra killing Miyazu. And that doesn't quite fit the situation we're in now.

"You're supposed to be dead." Ezra exclaims in an arrogant huff, repeating what I'm thinking. He forms fists on his hips and shifts his weight, giving off an antsy vibe. His hair jostles around in the wind, flipping the silver parts of his bangs around his head, "I made sure your heart stopped beating." Ezra's timid hands find his jaw and massage the bone.

"Ah," Miyazu starts, stepping even further out from hiding which reveals a fair skinned man with a black collared vest, wearing no shirt underneath, and black pants, "You thought I was weak enough to be killed by you?" He walks out in front of us and paces, "Only someone as stupid as you would believe something so simple." His legs abruptly stop and his head rotates in my direction, sending daring eyes to meet mine. "Lady Akira Sheeno...long time no see." The voice that aims for my ears lacks any emotion at all. "I don't suppose you remember me, do you?" I open my mouth but Ezra cuts me off.

"What do you want, Miyazu?" He continues their conversation with foul hatred slipping through gritted teeth. Lion ears sprout from his head and the katana, attached to his hip, is loosened from the saya. Ezra is getting too close to starting a battle with these reactionary movements of his. And not everyone needs to be thrusted into fighting.

Miyazu flickers over to Ezra in a flash of movement, "Oh Ezzy...Don't you realize I'm here to kill you and take Lady Akira with me?" His face is a hair away from touching Ezra's, and his voice is heard even by the trees across the meadow. How does someone move so fast?

Most importantly, I had a hunch about the reason for this trap, but hearing its confirmation is a whole other issue I honestly hadn't anticipated. I didn't want to entertain that idea because living in the ignorance can be addictive. I was somewhat enjoying assuming everything might work out. Now that the illusion is shattered, fear crawls like a centipede through my mind and my body to shake my hands and turn my skin whiter than it already is.

"It's silly of you to think otherwise. Obviously," Miyazu steps back and swings his arms around motioning to the dragons and the open field, "this is a trap!" Hysterical laughing ensues and each dramatic breath Miyazu takes, the darkness inside me builds. "And you fell right into it!" More laughing persists before he finishes his speech, "Only something so outrageous could happen in some fictional world!...But here you all are."

My brain finds the image of the future version of me I met in my dream. Her darkened soul and fiery eyes are exactly what I need right now. She was strong with the kind of power that creates such an intimidating aura that any person could sense it just from being in her presence. She was threatening and inspiring at the same time, a true Goddess.

If there was ever a time to finally become her, it would be now. Before I can do anything to stop it, my mouth preemptively opens and speaks words that only the girl in my imagination could say, "Only ridiculous people like you would believe your plan succeeded." I marvel at the display of muscles on Miyazu's body and wonder how much strength it really takes to betray a family. "Tell me," every single eye watches me carefully, "do you really believe everything you're told?" The instant my sight locks with Miyazu's, I feel the old me sneak back, with crippling fear, to the gates of my mind. I refuse to let her in.