Nurse Sheeno

I prop myself up on Steele's back with my elbows to search for the squashed bug again. It's nowhere in my line of sight, and as time passes I grow nauseous with the constant rising and falling of Steele's springing from branch to branch. My hair is in all kinds of knots now, whipping me in the eyes every now and again, almost blinding me.

"Hey Steele?" I receive no response. "Can we take a break?" My small voice tries again, still not getting anything from him. I poke him on the back, "We need to stop, Steele." I say authoritatively, assuming that with him, it's the only way to gain his attention.

He whistles one sharp note and softly lands in the middle of a forest some hundred miles or so from the city. After letting me down gently, I brush myself off. "Thank you." I whisper under my breath, uncertain if he's upset with me, or not, from wanting to take a break from escaping. In hopes of answering my own question, I bend myself around him to see his eyes. They're void of any indicating signs of emotion. I'm beginning to think this is just how Steele is all the time.

Everyone behind us starts following suit, landing in the clearing. They jump down to join us one by one. Haruka is last to drop, and he holds the same sour attitude since being scolded by Steele. It couldn't be more evident that he doesn't let things go very easily. He acts like a toddler. I shamefully find it amusing, and at least it takes the tension off my shoulders.

I watch Kappie set Ezra down on the soft forest floor. He leans himself against a tree and slides to a sitting position with his legs stretched out, Ezra's head in his lap. Rayce dances into the clearing and squats down next to them, picking up some random twigs and playing with them. I begin running my fingers through my long tangled hair, struggling to smooth it out.

"Why are we stopping at a time like this?" Haruka covers his eyes with his thumb and index finger in frustration.

"We are far enough away for an advantage, and Kappie and Ezra need to rest. Don't be selfish, Haruka." Steele grabs Haruka's collar with a tight fist. "I need to speak with you privately." He says in a low voice, dragging Haruka with him to some other part of the forest where I hope he doesn't kill the green eyed monster out of irritation.

As they both disappear off into the trees, I observe Rayce's childish behavior.

His youthful nature isn't immature in the way a grown man could act like a child and become the repellent of all living human beings. No, Rayce is different. His thin figure matched with his shorter than average height and higher octave voice, aid in his charm. He's truly adorable, like Dessy. Gorgeous zaffre eyes take in the world with imagination and innocence. His eyes are big like a baby's, and his narrow pointed chin increase his young appearance. Watching him become so invested in the world around him, is entertaining. I wish I had that kind of admiration.

Ezra begins coughing again, the thick kind of cough that makes you back away to avoid the spray. If his spray was anything but blood, I would have done just that. But it's the ugly scarlet that spills out of his scraped up mouth now. I rush over to him and Kappie, "Are you guys alright?" I ask the conscious one.

"I'm worried about him." He says, "He needs to switch over to Zodiac form to recuperate from his injuries, but he's being stubborn." Kappie moves the hair out of Ezra's eyes. He gently presses his forehead to his brother's to feel for a fever. I feel the spark of jealousy ripple through my nerves. I wish I had siblings, and I wish Dessy was here.

Kappie interacts with Ezra using tedious consideration, making his love for his brother very evident to any wandering eyes. The way he caresses Ezra's head, tilting him up just enough to keep him from choking on his own blood. His watchful eyes dare not leave the scene for more than a second. The free hand toys with Ezra's hair in a loving manner. Even though there seems to be a lot of tension between them and a history of something dark, it's easy for anyone to see Kappie deeply cares for his brother and it's remarkably envying. I just wonder if Ezra cares as much about Kappie.