arcade

by localdanicakes

Will tapped his pencil against his desk, staring up at the board while their teacher droned on about something he wasn't interested in. It was mid-February and a chill breeze hung in the air outside. Hawkins was known to be cloudy and dark, it was a characteristic of the town. Today was just like that, a gray color overtook the horizon and left the town facing another day void of direct sunlight. Will was shook from his thoughts of the current topic by something hitting his arm gently. He looked down next to his desk where a folded-up paper lay, assuming it was some tease about him since he was zombie boy the fairy kisser, he looked around. Instead of finding a nasty culprit of the unopened note, his eyes met with Mike Wheeler's dark eyes which practically asked Will to read the note. His face flushed to a light pink shade and he took a moment to tear his gaze from the ravenette, reaching down to quickly pick up the notebook paper. His pale hands fumbled with the folds, trying not to rip the delicate paper. Inside there was a scribbled-down message of 'arcade later? maybe sleepover after?'. Short notice plans were very rare for the two of them. Will turned his head in Mike's direction, staring at the oblivious boy for a few minutes.

The bell rang, causing Will to turn away and grab his things. Everyone rose from their seats and headed out the door within minutes. Will found his way through the mass amounts of middle schoolers. He hopped down the concrete stairs at a quick pace, going over towards the tree they all met at before they left school. The brunette sat down on the grass, which lacked its vibrant color due to the seasons shifting. He leaned back against the rough, dark brown bark of the large tree. It wasn't more than five minutes when everyone else started showing up, First Dustin, then Max and Lucas who were swapping spit like always, and lastly, Mike, who had gotten caught up at his locker. The group cut up and made a few jokes before everyone started going their own ways. Time seemed to pass quicker than ever before to the brunette boy. Will and Mike stood next to one another, hands on their bikes when Mike finally spoke, breaking the oddly long silence "You ready to go?" He said with a smile, looking at Will. "Yeah, I'll have to call my mom when we get there though" Will responded, light-heartedly.

The two young boys hopped onto their bicycles and started riding towards the arcade, Mike leading the way as always.

—-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I know mom, yes... Yeah, yeah, I got it. I won't, promise. Of course, I'll call you if anything happens. Mhm... Love you too, mom, see you tomorrow!" Will smiled nearly the entire time he was on the phone with his mom. Mike stood leaning against one of the pillars outside of the arcade, his gaze lingering on the Byers boy. Will hung the phone up and walked the few steps over to Mike, who grinned at him. The both of them made their way inside the colorful building. Mike and Will immersed themselves into games quickly. They took turns watching and cheering on each other as one of them played a trivial game with no real reward yet the sound of each other's laughter was reward enough even if neither of them would admit it. Will was currently watching Mike and his incoordination attempt to play Pac-man.

"You almost got it, watch out for the pink ghost!" Will spoke, leaning against the side of the neighboring game watching his ravenette friend as he chortled.

"I'm trying!" Mike was so concentrated on a silly little game, putting all of his attention on the pink ghost that he didn't bother to look at the turquoise one that just swooped in and ended the game. "Dang it." He huffed, looking at Will who had burst out in laughter. He, too, started laughing. Both boys stopped laughing enough to gain their composure. Mike's dark curls hung into his pale freckled face which held a soft pink tint as he smiled. Will's complexion had a matching pink color to it. "Wanna go get something to drink?" Mike asked.