love letters

by localdanicakes

The Byers just about finished packing up their vehicles, to begin the journey to California. Joyce, Eleven, and Jonathan were passing the last couple of boxes into the back of the U-Haul as everyone stood around talking, making plans to keep in touch, and hugging each other with goodbyes. Mike, however, was nowhere in sight. The ravenette was busy standing in the room that once belonged to his best friend. They'd practically grown up in this house, in this room, and Mike's basement. It was all too soon, even if they'd all known about this inevitable event for months now. The golden sunlight of the spring afternoon rested upon the empty room, enhancing its nostalgic feel. After what felt like an eternity of staring at the window, his eyes caught a glimpse of something sitting on the floor next to the window sill. He walked over and picked it up. It was an olive-white colored envelope with Dear Mike written neatly and boldly in the center. The envelope felt quite thick, not just one piece of paper stuffed in it. Mike quickly turned around, planning to give it back to Will in case he hadn't meant to leave it, it did look misplaced from its original space. He closed the door to a crack behind him as he made his way out. He looked out the front door, seeing the car and truck start pulling out. Swiftly, He ran outside and managed to shut the door behind him as he did. He stood a few feet in front of the rest of the group, sighing.

"WILL!" He called out, watching the vehicles drive off, leaving nothing but dust behind. He wasn't sure why he yelled, Will wouldn't be able to hear him. His arms fell to his sides, still gripping the envelope in his left hand.

"What's that?" Max questioned, taking notice of said envelope. "Love letter from your girlfriend~?" Lucas jumped in with a snarky tone.

"It's nothing," Mike spoke back, gripping it a little tighter. "Do we need to do anything else before we head out?" He questioned as he swung around to face the others. Nancy just shook her head, "That's all. We should get going, Everyone load in, I'll drop you guys off at home" The eldest said as she opened the back car door. All of the kids piled into the car. Once everyone was settled in, Nancy started the car and drove away.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mike and Nancy both got out of the car, heading up to the house. "Thanks for the ride, Nance" Mike said as he made his way towards the basement door. He heard a faint 'No problem' and then the sound of the front door opening and closing. He opened the basement door and stepped inside, letting it shut behind him. He strolled over to the couch, his lanky body sunk into the dirty yellow fabric. His pale hands rested in his lap, the envelope sitting gently on top. The ravenette then began gingerly opening the package carefully, as to not rip it. Once he slipped out the contents, he found three different folded pieces of paper, all with different dates yet all signed by his brunette best friend. He sat the other papers aside, only holding onto one with the date November 1st, 1984 written next to Will's signature. That was the year Will dealt with the Mind Flayer. More specifically, that was only a few days after they declared that if they were to go crazy, they'd go crazy together. His body felt frozen as his gaze lingered on the ink, yet something compelled him to read the letter. His pale hands fumbled with the corner of the notebook paper, unfolding it at an unhurried pace. He started reading the neat handwriting as soon as it was unfolded.

Thank you, Mike.

I know that's something you've heard a lot from me lately, but it's something I really want you to know. I don't think I would have made it this far without you, the Mind Flayer would have gotten me if it weren't for you. I don't know what it is about you or your voice, something is just so welcoming and safe, it always stops that thing from getting me. The other night was one of the worst experiences I've had with this, and having you right by my side made things better. Really, really better. And knowing that I wasn't the only one going crazy helped too a lot. You've just been so helpful and comforting lately so I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate that. Yeah. I am really grateful for you, Mike. Thank you. -Will