Chapter Two

Valerie was cradling Mars in her arms, the poor just-turned-eleven-year-old seemingly sobbing. Tears stung your eyes as you watched the scene for a moment, the care your friend showed to someone she didn't even know was your sibling. Knocking gently on the glass, you slipped silently inside the booth. Crouching down in front of Mars, you tucked a strand of their (H/C) hair out of their face. "Hey, buddy, what's wrong?" Their teary eyes met your worried ones for a split second before they immediately launched into your arms.

Violently wriggling their head into your shoulder, you held them as they continued to cry. Your Slytherin friend raised an eyebrow at you, confused as to how you knew the child that was now clinging to you. "They're my sibling, Val." You said in a hushed tone, this caused them to grip tightly to you. You knew the rest of the family had refused to treat them the way they has asked, especially when they came out as non-binary. You comforted them, silencing their worries with shushing noises and a lot of back rubs.

It was a long train ride, you had spent your time defying your parents and making sure that Mars was reassured of your love for them. Even if they were sorted into Gryffindor, you could never resent them for something they couldn't choose. As the train came to a stop in Hogsmeade station, you held their hand as you stepped off the vehicle. Pulling them in for one last hug before they followed Hagrid off to the boats, you placed a soft, fleeting kiss on the top of their head. "You'll be fine." They nodded in response, squeezing you tightly. Reluctantly you let go, setting off to the self-drawn carriages with Valerie by your side.

Fidgeting anxiously in your seat, you watched as the new students got called one by one to the old creaky stool you saw every year. The sorting hat would be placed on their head, then proceed to shout out a house that to some, will define the rest of their lives. You weren't opposed to the house stereotypes, some truly did have all the qualities of their house. However, there were definite exceptions to the rules. Valerie Black, being one of them.

You let your gaze slip for a second, to behind the sorting ceremony where the professors sat. All your anxieties washed away as soon as you met Remus' stormy gaze, it washed over you like a tidal wave, leaving you lost in the memories you had been aching to relive. Exhaling, you felt your cheeks heat up as he flashed you his usual charming smile, a quick wink accompanying the action like a forbidden desert. You gave him a quick, acknowledging smile, knowing he was most likely aware of how you felt to see him again.