Chapter Eight

Days flew by as if they never even existed, every single one holding something new than the last. Valerie hadn't been in the best shape, but you made sure to be there for her every step of the way. During Snape's lessons, you would try and distract her from him, though sometimes you would catch him looking over with a sympathetic gaze, even if it was just for a split second it was noticeable. You would see Remus any time you could, he had started giving you tutoring slips so that the prefects wouldn't question you if you had been caught. Mars had actually begun to thrive, making friends with two grey-haired twins in their year.

Plopping yourself down next to the three rabble-rousers, you couldn't help but smile at the conversation you were overhearing. "Why even enchant the frogs in the first place? I mean it's so counterproductive!" "But they're so cute-" "Cute? Willow, what do you mean cute?" "Come on Quercus, you can't tell me the little guys aren't adorable." "Yes I can-" Zoning out from the conversation, you placed a few sandwiches on your plate. It was only lunchtime, yet you were hungrier than ever. Thankfully you hadn't skipped out on breakfast, or you might have collapsed.

After eating and a little chit-chat, lunch had come to an end. You stretched your tired limbs, lifting yourself from your seat as you shot a smile to your sibling. "Be good okay?" You ruffled a hand through their hair lovingly, they chuckled lightly, "I will sis, don't worry". With that, you headed to your next lesson of the day, Defence Against The Dark Arts. A spring found its way into your step as you made your way through the old corridors to the classroom, excited to see your lover once more.

With a smile plastered on your face, you stepped through the entryway to feel the wind being knocked out of your lungs. He wasn't there. Your messy-haired, chocolate-loving man was nowhere in sight. Worry filled you as you glanced around the classroom, hoping to catch a glimpse of him hiding. A few of your classmates were already sitting in their seats, quills at the ready. Study lessons were also far out of the ordinary for the professor.

Anxiously taking a seat, you waited patiently for your lover to arrive. The class was full of chatter until the door slammed open as an angry-looking potions professor stormed in, his robes billowing behind him. You were sure if anyone looked at you at that moment, they would've thought you were just one of the many ghosts that roamed the halls. Choosing not to draw attention to yourself, you stayed silent, hoping that someone else would question why Remus wasn't teaching the lesson.

Nobody did, the class dragged on as you tried to come up with reasons for his absence. Your mind immediately bounced the infirmary, 'What if he's hurt?' your heart tightened at the thought. Continuing your silence, you barely paid attention to the dreary teacher. Too worried to be mad at him for what he did in the moment, you had time to be angry later.