2. [night]

The old lady told you about Wano.

You kneeled on a coarse rag as she patiently applied an herbal paste on your hair before combing through it. All the while she talked about her homeland, how it used to be and how it was now. You learnt of a legendary samurai named Oden, the last one standing up to Kaido. You learnt of the twenty-year prophecy, of Onigashima, Orochi, the factories that polluted air and water. Of Kaido's men coming, taking, killing at will. It became clear why there weren't young men around: they were enslaved to work in the mass production of weapons. And even if they weren't, it was illegal to carry blades, or any weapon, unless at service for Kaido and Orochi.

At first you didn't give a shit. All you wanted to know was the geography of the place and as much intel as possible over Kaido's ranks (it came, with time, at least what little the woman knew). But then the flow of her ancient words dragged you in, just as the soothing hands in your hair slowly relaxed your stiff shoulders.

«Why do you want to learn about this stuff anyway?» Yusuke asked, rocking back and forth on his butt while his finger ravaged his nose.

You glared at him, a silent warning to shut up.

«My, O-Kotori-san.» the old lady's hands paused «The ends of your hair are very ruined. I'm afraid it'll hurt a little if I continue.»

You reached back to touch the area and your fingers met a towy mess.

«Cut it out.»

«What? But you've such nice hair.»

«Cut it out, it's in the way.» your lips tightened for a moment «I should've done it ages ago.»

The old lady didn't like the idea but didn't protest either, reaching for a thin wire with a sigh.

«So what are you really here for, nee-san*?» Yusuke charged again, taking advantage of the moment.

«I told you, I'm a tourist.»

You felt the woman stretching your hair, then the wire began cutting through it. You didn't realize you were holding your breath until your coiled locks fell on the floor and your head was lighter.

«Yes but you lied.»

Why is it always brats for me?

«Yusuke-kun, you should not be pressing our guest. She saved the village.»

«Mh, whatever.»

You fingers were mindlessly fiddling with the shortened locks. It felt weird.

«I'm looking for someone.» you heard yourself say.

«Someone from the vast sea?»

Your eyes met Yusuke's.

«It's safer if you don't know any more than this. In fact, don't tell anyone about me.»

He shook his head.

«I won't.»

«O-Kotori-san, no one will utter a word about you. It would get us in trouble as well.» the old lady reassured, her hands spreading a new herbal unguent on the now scarce length of your hair. It was softer, knot-free and more rebellious than ever.

The woman took a couple of steps back, then kneeled profoundly.

«I wish I could offer you more than this.» she said, forehead leaning against the floor «Our water is poisoned and we have no food. I only have an old kimono to replace your clothes.»

Your nose twitched in doubt.

Your clothes were ruined by the shipwreck, barely holding together over your skin, but the idea of ditching them for a kimono wasn't too appealing. Those things didn't seem to offer much protection.