9. [words]

A/n. Thank you for bearing with me through the summer break. I'm back, babes.

*

The crew was cleaning up the ship, loud cheers and laughter still echoing all over the deck, when Kid emerged from below. All the pirates fell instantly silent at the sight of his face.

«No one is to enter my fucking cabin.» the captain hissed.

The men made sure to flatten themselves against the taffrail as he marched through the deck and headed to the galley. Kid slammed the door behind himself, and the crew let out a breath.

«Well... I guess we should have seen that coming.» Wire murmured.

Heat didn't reply, his eyes trailing to the door for the cabins before his attention returned to the broom.

«Oi, Heat-san.»

It was Quincy who walked up to him, standing in front of the two officers with hands on her hips, a resolute expression on her face, her figure radiating dignity even when she was dressed in rags.

«What?»

«We have some questions for you guys.»

Heat and Wire watched as the rest of the girls gathered around her.

«We knew about the marine girl, but this,» Quincy gestured toward the captain's cabin «This goes quite beyond what we were told.»

«Right? Like, did captain Kid just leave his own cabin to her? And was she... yelling at him?» Hip asked, incredulous.

«I don't think she's a marine anymore, if that helps.» the Mohican commented, kicking a piece of broken wood overboard.

«You owe us an explanation.» Quincy said «The whole story.»

«We are also curious.»

Bubblegum approached, sided by Boogie and Mosh.

«We weren't here when this Y/n showed up.»

«I'm actually kinda happy I met her. Everyone was so hung up on her at the lair, I was feeling left out.» Bubblegum said.

«Oh yeah? And what about the fact that she saved your sorry ass?» Boogie laughed.

«Huh, I seem to recall your sorry ass wasn't doing any better.»

«Wha— say that again, I dare you!»

«Okay, shut up for a second.» Wire sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose «We will tell you. Let's go in.»

Kid barged into the galley and stood in the entrance. As expected, Killer was there.

The man had tied a bandanna around his face, right below his eyes, and used what was left of the curtains to cover the portholes, casting long shadows into the room. Whatever food they had was long gone, so Killer was simply clearing the galley from the devastation the Beast Pirates had left behind.

He didn't turn when he heard the door being kicked open. He knew what was coming.

«Why didn't you tell me Y/n was here?»

Killer leaned his hands on the counter and took a deep breath. His shoulders shook lightly, but he managed to suppress the fit of laughter.

«I'm sorry.»

«Sorry won't do.» Kid said, fiery eyes scanning his comrade's back «You knew she was here and you didn't tell me. I hope you have a good explanation.»

Killer turned and grabbed a chair, one of the few that had survived the looting. He sat and gestured for Kid to do the same.

Kid's eyes sharpened but he complied. They faced each other across the table.