6. [seastone]

«Archer! Oi, archer!»

You didn't so much as turn your head at the call, eyes fixed on the clear sky. There were few clouds that day, all idly sliding across the blue.

«How dare you wield that bow, huh? It's a national treasure, it doesn't belong to the hands of a treacherous outsider like you!»

It was a sunny day. Cherry petals descended delicately over the capital, even there, in the Prisoners Quarters of Rasetsu Town.

You leaned against the wall of the Prison House, hands in your pockets, bow resting by your side.

«Look at me, stupid bitch!»

You sighed, rolling your head and turning to the wide cell, currently hosting hundreds of recently-arrested men.

The one that harangued you was tall, disheveled, and angry. He glared at you with eyes full of hatred.

«What.»

«That bow doesn't belong to you!» he repeated with a hiss.

One of the guards banged his guandao against the bars, startling a portion of the amassed men.

«Stand down!»

The hostile prisoner did, for a moment, then stepped forward again and spat in the dust at your feet. The guard tensed, but you waved him off.

«It's fine.» you pushed yourself away from the wall and faced the man «Look, life sucks. Yours especially. You can keep on bitching, but all you'll gain is an arrow in the knee through this very bow that you prize so much. Would you prefer that?»

He snarled, his gaze scanning your masked features.

«You'll get what's coming for you, whore.»

Your eyes sharpened. With a quick movement of your hand, you gestured him to move aside.

He frowned.

«What?»

«Move.» you said, repeating the same motion, now more impatiently. It became apparent that your attention had drifted beyond him long ago, through the sea of prisoners «All of you, stand aside for a sec.»

«What?» other rageful faces fixed on you «What the hell--»

With a click of your tongue, you nocked an arrow in and raised the bow.

«Aside

Finally, the wall of men in the area scrambled to open a path, allowing you to see the back of the cell. You lowered your weapon as swiftly as you wielded it.

There were two guys with peculiar headwear slumped against the bottom of the prison, both exhausted and clearly beaten up. A small jolly roger was sewn to their kimono...

Heart Pirates.

You loosed a breath, taking a step back and allowing the tides of men to close again before them.

There they were, the troubles of your reality finding you again and again, no matter if you were actively chasing them or not.

«Is that Lord Yasuie?!»

«Lord Yasuie!»

«Please, stop this!!»

You turned to the main gates.

A few guards were dragging a little man across the yard, toward the crucifying scaffolding. The guy was thin, dirty, and injured, but still laughing joyfully. Your stomach churned.