5. [snow]

Trigger warning! Potentially triggering content in the last part of the chapter.

[Also, from now on, expect spoilers for the Wano arc all the time]

*

«Akainu won't budge.»

You frowned at the floor, tailing Aokiji down the long corridor of the base. The wall was lined by windows, the moonless night painting shadows on your path.

«And neither will you.»

It wasn't a question.

Aokiji sighed.

«I can't.»

Your lips pressed together, your hold tightened on the strap of your rifle.

The two of you walked down the stairs, moving through the semi-desert building until you reached the heavy door. The Admiral opened it for you, and you stepped outside before him.

The night was quiet and brisk, the air carried a briny flavor from the port.

«You worry too much, Y/n.»

Aokiji stood beside you, hands in his pocket, absently staring toward the sea, just a few blocks ahead. Your eyes trailed up to him before dropping to the ground once again. The anxiety in your chest prevented you from talking.

«Do you trust me?»

«Of course I do!» you blurted, the question immediately drawing you out from your tight bubble «I know you're, like, super strong! I just, I–»

You didn't finish, biting your lower lip instead. He tilted his head aside and rubbed his neck.

«You're a strange woman. Sometimes you don't have faith in me, sometimes you have too much...»

You rolled your eyes.

«You're not exactly an easy cookie yourself, sensei.»

A faint smile tugged at his mouth.

«Go to bed now, it's late.»

You nodded your goodnight, then headed for the residences.

«Oi, Y/n.»

His call had you turn, his dark gaze meeting yours.

«Whatever happens, trust me on this one.»

You blinked once.

«Of course, Aokiji-sensei.»

The morning after, you woke up in a weird mood.

You had dreamed about Aokiji, which hadn't happened for a while, probably because of the adrenalin of the last period, or because survival had been your first concern. And now that things calmed down for a second, there came the dreams, like ghosts reminding you they never really left. They never would.

«Do you sleep in all the time?»

Drake was waiting in the hallway to the dining room, leaning against the wall with arms crossed on his massive chest.

You ran a hand through your messy hair and yawned in reply.

The pirate rolled his eyes before heading to the hall and gesturing for you to follow.

«I only stopped by briefly, I still need to find O-Soba Mask.»

The ridiculous name drew a snort from you.