ii.

Kings Landing

"Your Grace," Rhaenyra and Laenor say in sync, giving Viserys a bow. They each held one babe in their arms and were accompanied by no less than six members of the kings-guard. It has been a month since the birth of the twins and both Rhaenyra and Laenor thought it was time to formally introduce them to the King. It isn't the first time Viserys meets them, Rhaenyra allowing him for a quick visit two weeks ago, but they were never blessed formally by their grandsire.

Alicent had been very adamant at meeting the babes right away, but with both Rhaenyra and Laenor refusing, the King was able to put his foot down and not let Alicent have her way.

"Rhaenyra, Laenor! What good is it to see you! Come, you must introduce me to my grandchildren!" Viserys says joyfully, beckoning the couple forward. He was sitting in a chair, with Alicent standing to his left.

"Father," Rhaenyra starts, giving Viserys a smile, "this is Jacaerys Velaryon, my first-born." She hands him over to the King, who smooths his hand over the babe's head and gives him a quick kiss on his forehead. Viserys motions Alicent to come see the babe and doesn't notice the flurry of emotions to pass through her face at seeing his dark hair. Rhaenyra and Laenor pay her no mind, with the former picking up her son and the latter introducing the King to their daughter. "And this is Jalyssa Velaryon."

"Twins," Alicent murmurs in surprise, looking at the babe in Laenor's arms. She is no fool, she knows who truly fathered these children, but she could see the love in Laenor's eyes as he watches the babes.

"Congratulations, step-daughter," Alicent says, giving Rhaenyra a clearly fake smile, "your babes look... strong and healthy."

Rhaenyra gives Alicent a cold look at the jab but doesn't deem her worthy enough to a response. She looks at Viserys with a serious gaze and says, "Father, may Laenor and I speak to you in private?"

Viserys nods, noticing the seriousness in Rhaenyra's gaze and tone, and sends Alicent away. The Queen kisses her husband's hands and walks away, the doors slamming behind her. As soon as Alicent is out the door, Viserys gestures for Rhaenyra and Laenor to sit, accepting Jalyssa when Laenor offers her to him.

"What is it you wish to speak of, Rhaenyra?"

Rhaenyra takes a deep breath, nervousness coating her whole body. Laenor puts a hand on her shoulder and gives her a reassuring squeeze. They had talked earlier, so Laenor knew what Rhaenyra wished to discuss.

"I had a dream," Rhaenyra starts, "two moons before the twins were born. I don't remember the exact intricacies of it, but I saw the end of everything." At this, Rhaenyra looks at Viserys in the eye, knowing her father will know what she is alluding to. And she is not wrong, the King straightens up at that, willing Rhaenyra to go on. "A voice told me of the births of my babes, a son and a daughter. My son was to be my heir, and I presumed my daughter was the be heir to Driftmark. Yet, I was wrong. This voice strongly urged me to create a stronger alliance with the North, particularly the Starks."

"When Jalyssa is five name days, she is to be sent as a ward to the Starks. I came here to ask your aid in sending a raven to arrange this."

The silence that follows can only be described as contemplating. Viserys was unconsciously rocking Jalyssa in his arms while Rhaenyra and Laenor doted on Jacaerys.

"I will send word to Lord Rickon Stark of this arrangement, and it would be wise for you to send a raven as well, Rhaenyra. The Starks are honorable."

"I will, father. Thank you for listening." At that, both Rhaenyra and Laenor stand up, the latter taking his daughter from the King's arms. Rhaenyra bends down slightly for Viserys to be able to kiss her forehead and Laenor gives a small bow.

Viserys smiles at the picture they paint, both of them looking regal while holding his grandchildren in their arms. His smile fades as they both walk away, reminding him of what has just transpired and what he must do to secure the survival of humanity as a whole if Rhaenyra was to be believed.

-

Lord Rickon Stark, Warden of the North

I write this letter not only as the heir to the Iron Throne, but as a mother and a messenger. It is to be believed that both Targaryens and Starks play a huge part in the upcoming future.

As you may know, I have given birth to two children, the Prince Jacaerys Velaryon and the Princess Jalyssa Velaryon. Prince Jacaerys is my heir, the future King of the Seven Realms.

I humbly ask you to read this letter in private so that delicate matters don't get into the hands of outsiders. My father will be sending a more official letter as well if needed.

I dreamed of the long night, the end of the world of men. In my dreams, I was told that our houses are the key to stop this winter that rivals all winters, and my daughter is the one to start everything. I humbly ask for you to ward my daughter when she is five name days old. We will be sending the necessary stuff for her stay, however long that may be, so she wouldn't need for much.

I write to you as a parent, if this offer is accepted, I require your oath that my daughter will not come into any avoidable danger, and that you should treat her as your own. I anxiously await for your response.

— Sincerely, Rhaenyra Targaryen
Princess of Dragonstone and Heir to the Iron Throne

-

Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen, Heir to the Iron Throne

I have received both yours and the King's letters, and I have sent a more formal response to the King. I accept this proposal. A few moons ago, I was also visited by the old gods in my dreams. They spoke of this very night as well. I wasn't sure how to get into contact with the crown to discuss this delicate matter, but I am glad I was contacted first.

You have my oath, on my honor as a Stark and King of the North, that your daughter will not see any unavoidable harm under my care. I cannot promise that she will never face any dangers, as I'm sure the reputation of the North has, but I will do everything I can to educate your daughter as if she was my own.

I look forward to exchanging more letters to further discuss this arrangement in the years to come. Also, congratulations on the children. May the old gods bless them to live strong and length full lives.

— Lord Rickon Stark
Warden of the North

——
short chapter, i know! but i needed to update asap lol! tell me your thoughts?
-jackie